POST EGGBOUND BUT STILL ACTING EGGBOUND.. recovery? or ?

koorka

In the Brooder
Feb 7, 2022
Hi
our girl was 4 days eggbound. Pulled out all the bells and whistles for her with no success. Took her to Vet today, they gave her meloxicam there, vent enema and finally after 2 vet tries they got a normal, regular egg out...
took her home.. rested her, fed her and let her have some quiet alone. she was a bit more vocal.. but still walking tail down, squatting like a penguin with an egg under their belly.- not walking well at all.- not upright but low to ground. she did some panting on and off. I thought perhaps she was more stressed because the dogs were barking and she could hear them out back.

i gave her some more rest time and then took her back to the coop. first thing she did was go into the nesting box.
I went to check on her 2 hours later and she was sitting in the corner, just like she was when i realized she was not okay.

I am confused---is she sore? i've read so many posts.. with the hen free of her egg.. they just perk right up and are ok.
she ate well yesterday.... okay today. Not much interest in water today.
They didn't xray her at vet because they could feel the egg ( now I am wondering if she is backed up with more than one behind the one they got out) ... ugh wish she xrayed her now!!)...

any experience with this or thoughts? why she seems uncomfortable. I picked her up and placed her on her roosting bar -- for bedtime.

thank you!

Last edited:
Sometimes when an egg is delayed there can be more than one in transit, so that might be the issue. Too bad they didn't xray. Do you have any calcium citrate +D? If you do, give her one, the calcium will help with contractions. That's the best abosorbed, but Tums will do if you have that. Grind it up and mix with a little something she will eat, a spoonful of yogurt, etc. Is she pooping?

Sometimes when an egg is delayed there can be more than one in transit, so that might be the issue. Too bad they didn't xray. Do you have any calcium citrate +D? If you do, give her one, the calcium will help with contractions. That's the best abosorbed, but Tums will do if you have that. Grind it up and mix with a little something she will eat, a spoonful of yogurt, etc. Is she pooping?
Thank you coach 723...
I am concerned that may be the case.. but without xray I am not sure.
I may have to bring her back.
I don't have Ca+ citrate( but will get some ASAP) but do have tums.. and will give her more in the am.
I did give her tums over the weekend and have been feeding her yogurt, cottage cheese ( which she very much loves).... She did poop over the weekend each day... little formed clumps ... not large ones but about a dime to quarter size a few times.
today.. i am not sure.. as she spent the day at the vets.

I feel so badly for her... when i was on the phone with the vet I asked if she xrayed and she said she had not because she could feel the egg... I almost said... do one anyway-- how I regret not doing so.

poor girl ..

If they are truly egg bound they won't poop, it blocks the passage. How old is she? Has she had laying issues in the past? Maybe by morning she'll look better, lets hope. If she's still struggling I would see if you can feel an egg. A gloved, lubed finger inserted about 1-2 inches, see if you can feel it. If you can, then KY jelly can be used to help try to lube the passage. If she's not pooping then it becomes more critical. That can't go on too long or she'll die. Sometimes a soft shelled or malformed, or really large, egg can be the problem, those are very hard to pass.

Back
Top Bottom