Post fox attack symptoms - help.

13frenchhens

Hatching
Jul 12, 2021
Hello all.

After keeping chickens for a few years we experienced our first fox attack this morning.
We have an auto door system and the attack was quite early, luckily I heard the commotion and went outside before it had escalated.
Nevertheless, one hen didn't survive after I think succumbing to shock whilst another hen suffered a bite wound which required vet treatment. She seems to be doing OK but I am worried about our cockerel. When I got outside this morning I found him on his back with his legs in the air, I thought he was dead. But when I got to him, his eyes were open so I picked him up and put him in the coop whilst trying to assess the damage.
He has picked up a bit since and is eating and drinking but is unable to stand without toppling forward.
I don't think the fox got hold of him, there are no marks on him apart from a tiny spot on his back. The vet also gave him a check over and said he was in shock and should recover.

My question really is are these symptoms of shock and other than ensuring he keeps eating and drinking what else can we do for him.

Thanks for reading.

Hi 13frenchhens,

I'm so sorry about your chickens. I'm glad that the bitten one survived after some treatment. I had a friend's chicken, once who, after being attacked died of shock, so its not completely unheard of.

As for the cockerel, it definitely sounds like symptoms of shock. The best thing you can do is keep doing what you're doing--making sure he eats and drinks and watching to see if the condition improves or worsens. Also, depending on your weather, make sure he's not too hot or too cold, and give him some treats to lift his spirits.

I hope he feels better soon!

Thanks for the reply. Our brave chap is showing signs of recovery today. He can stand up and walk a short distance, albeit unsteadily.
He's still eating and drinking well so we're very hopeful that with time he'll be back to his old self.
The injured hen also seems to be doing well, she is very quiet but not surprising after that ordeal.

Back
Top Bottom