Post FP issue

Island Juli

Chirping
Jan 25, 2016
I just went a round of fowl pox with my flock. I lost some of the youngsters as I had 2 broodies hatch out 19 each during the mess. I pulled them out of the coop/run as soon as possible, but still lost 5, and a couple now only have 1 good eye despite hours and hours of attention and love.

We treated 36 out of 200 that had at least a few pox on them, 11 had it really bad but all have cleared up, no new pox or scabs in over a week, just some scaring on combs.

Tonight when checking the coops one of my leghorns is wheezing. I moved her to the hospital ward and started antibiotics. Could this be secondary to the pox and am I to expect more to have issues?? This one hen did lose sight in one eye early on. She was determined not to be caught until it had closed completely. It's open now after treatment, but it is white and I'm sure she can't see out of it.

Thanks for any insight. I've been lucky up until now to have a healty flock. Scary how fast things can turn!!

Mostly dry pox. Seems only the newly hatched chicks got wet.

I live in Hawaii, the Big Island. Lots of rain the last couple of weeks and 2 hurricanes headedthis way. Very humid and temps in the 80's.

Virtually no predators (just rats), so coops are all open air, many roost in the trees on the acre they free-range on, but up close to the coops. I go out each evening at dusk for a head count just to make sure everyone made it back.

Back
Top Bottom