Post Mite Infestation

Maggie S

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2018
Hi Everyone: We have been dealing with a horrible mite infestation. I keep a really clean coup for our 7 girls. I've done the Diatomaceous Earth, and Poultry Protector Spray now for 5 weeks and finally gave in and gave them all a 3 dip bath yesterday. My question is this: What are some of the best foods to supplement them with to help them regain their blood and feathers? Poor things have just been eaten alive. Thank you all in advance.

My question is this: What are some of the best foods to supplement them with to help them regain their blood and feathers?
Welcome to BYC! :frow

What is their age and what are you giving them now? Also what breeds are they?

Feathers are made from 90% protein and it's amino acids.

Using a "flock Raiser" (or starter/grower) feed with 20% protein (compared to layer 16%) really made a difference.. oyster shell is still free choice on the side for active layers. I never switch back.

Meal worms are too high in fat and low in other nutrients to be considered a good protein source for me.

Rooster Booster (brand) Poultry Cell or Poultry Booster (products) would be a great choice for supplementation during times of stress! NO supplement should be given more than 10 days in a row.

DE is not effective in my location due to humidity. Did you treat the roost, lay boxes, etc with the spray also.

Sometimes you won't see new feather growth until they molt. Also the dead nits (eggs) may not disappear as they are still glued on. Skin condition can still be a good indicator. Noting I'm not sure of the efficacy of the poultry protector spray, but would love to know if it works well or not!

Active Ingredients: Potassium Sorbate .1% by weight INERT INGREDIENTS: Water, Yeast, Citric Acid 99.9% TOTAL: 100%

This link from Cornell university indicates it may be used (in combination with essential oils) as a repellent.. but that's not the same as treating effectively something when you have an infestation.

https://ecommons.cornell.edu/bitstr...sorbate-MRP-NYSIPM.pdf?isAllowed=y&sequence=1

I'd probably look into using something that will actually interrupt the life cycle of the parasites.. a permethrin based "horse fly" spray is very effective in my experience. Also labeled for use in chickens and not requiring egg withdrawal.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom