Post Mortem - Swollen Abdomen, Watery Stool, Drinking Constantly

ChookieWookie

In the Brooder
Apr 3, 2018
Victoria, Australia
After a few days of consideration, we had to euthanise one of our birds, today. What were originally unconcerning symptoms rapidly deteriorated over the last week.

About the bird:
  • Weight: Heavier than the other hens. We called her "Chunky".
  • Breed: ISA brown-style
  • Shared a coop with 3 other hens.
  • Coop has straw bedding. Used to roost, slept on the floor last few nights.

Overview of symptoms:

Soon after coming out of a moult in May (Southern Hemisphere), despite the lovely new feathers, we'd observed the following problems:
  • Never resumed laying
  • Runny poop, dirty butt
  • Laboured breathing

In recent months, since say November, we'd noticed the following:
  • Swollen abdomen
  • Tail "bobbing"
And in the last week:
  • Constant tail bobbing
  • Drinking copious amounts of water
  • Fluid-filled crop - no smelly breath.
  • 100% clear, water discharged from her vent
  • Despite being very heavy, she had very little muscle on her breasts
  • Abdomen had gotten so big, it often dragged on the ground and cause her to waddle

Tragically, as I held her upside down by her feet to cut her throat, she vomited and must have aspirated some of the fluid, resulting in a very uncomfortable and stressful death for her.

Photos of below her vent / her abdomen from Sunday night:
https://imgur.com/a/48hyhdu

Our thoughts so far:

• Gleet? No, her vent looked quite healthy (not red, irritated).
  • Sour crop? No, never had smelly breath.
  • Worms? Maybe, though dewormed since May.
  • Lice/Mites? No, checked regularly.
  • Cancer/tumor? Maybe
  • EYP? Maybe

Any thoughts on what could've been the problem? Thanks in advance!

seems comparable to poisoning, though my experience with poisoning, the chooks die within hours.

ISA brown-style is something to take note of. Isa is a brand name, not a breed. They do not live long because their nutrition is diverted from health to laying. There is plenty of info online if you look for it. They die horrible deaths at about 2 years generally, and there is no way to save them. Some randomly live longer than that. I just choose regular breeds nowdays and give away anything brown.

The photos seem ok. not as bad as some sick birds get. When its night try to trim the feathers around the vent of sick chooks in future. Sometimes a haircut is good for a chook I find. especially polish. I find its easy to help some hens to keep clean. it also makes pairs more fertile, such as polish.

With everything you describe I would guess that she had a reproductive problem, cancer, internal laying or salpingitis. That would account for the symptoms you describe, and all of those are not uncommon in heavy laying breeds over the age of two. A necropsy might give you the answers. I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Apologies for the late response.

I just choose regular breeds nowdays and give away anything brown.

Understandably. We'll probably take the same approach going forward, given this is our third sudden death between 1-2 years of age.

With everything you describe I would guess that she had a reproductive problem, cancer, internal laying or salpingitis. That would account for the symptoms you describe, and all of those are not uncommon in heavy laying breeds over the age of two. A necropsy might give you the answers. I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs

Sorry for your loss. I agree that a reproductive disorder that has caused the swelling or fluid in her belly has in turn caused a blockage of her digestive system.

Thanks for your thoughts on the diagnosis. Unfortunately, due to the time of year (right in the middle of Christmas celebrations), I couldn't make time for a necropsy so I won't ever be able to confirm. I tend to agree with your conclusions, though perhaps I'm biased.

I've also learned that I should use a different killing technique for euthanising sick birds, as I'd hate to put another bird through asphyxiation by aspirated vomit.

Back
Top Bottom