Post office won't let me ship chicks priority

Yes you can ship 'day old' chicks priority. You have to have the date and time written on the box and signed by who ever is selling them. If they are over a day old you are not supposed to ship them until they weigh 6 ounces and they MUST ship express.
But here is a couple new ones:
hmm.png

Express on live animals (chicks) is guaranteed 3 days not overnight even if the slip says overnight........
I print my postage on line and now when I get to the post office they charge me an additional 20 cents per pound (MN and Detroit it is $1.00) special handling charge........ unknown to most post offices.

If day–old poultry is sent via air transportation (i.e., Express Mail, Priority Mail, or First–Class Mail), all provisions of the airlines must be met. Delivery of the mailpiece is dependent on the availability of air carriers having available equipment to safely deliver the day–old poultry within the specified time limit.

If day old-poultry can be sent by these methods according to USPS, then I'm kinda guessing they can actually be sent by these methods. I hate stupid people
he.gif

Thanks GiddyMoon, I'll do that.

Oh and the chicks were day-olds​

Last edited:
Express on live animals (chicks) is guaranteed 3 days not overnight even if the slip says overnight........

You might as well ship priority at that point. Whenever I ship priority, it always arrives in two days anyhow. I just put some food in the box and so far they've all made it alive and well.​

Quote:
If you back up a few sections from the information quoted from 526, you will find:

52 Animals
521 General Requirements
The full cooperation of the mailer is essential in order to safely and effectively transport animals through the mail. The following factors are applied to all shipments of mailable live or dead animals:

Protection of Postal Service employees and the public against harm from dangerous or diseased animals.
Protection of the mail and the environment against the following:
Damage to the shipping container or other mailpieces from either the animal or the refrigerant used (e.g., moisture or condensation from melting ice, or pressure build–up from dry ice).
Obnoxious odors and noise.
Protection of animals against death, or protection of animal specimens against spoilage, taking into account the following:
Expected time in transit.
Expected temperature in transit (weather conditions).
Packaging, including insulation against impact, heat, cold, and preventing suffocation.
Ability of an animal to survive without food or water during transport. Live animals must be transported without food or water, because liquids, moisture, and loose foodstuffs can cause damage to the shipping container, other mail, and Postal Service equipment during transport.
The ability of the Postal Service to provide transportation and delivery service. Mailers are urged to work with postmasters in providing advance notification of shipments of live animals. The Postal Service advises destination and transfer offices when any significant quantities of animals are moving in the mail. Postal Service field personnel should consider a 4–hour time limit on the period during which animals (especially bees, day–old poultry, and adult birds) may move in a regular, closed Postal Service vehicle.

Not that I am a fan of al of the Post Office, but we need to accept that they move 40% of the world mail and we need to help them out as best we can. I suspect the lady you are supposed to call is the person you contact to provide the adveanced notification.

Quote:
You might as well ship priority at that point. Whenever I ship priority, it always arrives in two days anyhow. I just put some food in the box and so far they've all made it alive and well.

Not to be a pill or anything, but since section 52 was quoted in part, I thought you should be aware of the rest of the story:
521 General Requirements
The full cooperation of the mailer is essential in order to safely and effectively transport animals through the mail. The following factors are applied to all shipments of mailable live or dead animals:

Protection of Postal Service employees and the public against harm from dangerous or diseased animals.
Protection of the mail and the environment against the following:
Damage to the shipping container or other mailpieces from either the animal or the refrigerant used (e.g., moisture or condensation from melting ice, or pressure build–up from dry ice).
Obnoxious odors and noise.
Protection of animals against death, or protection of animal specimens against spoilage, taking into account the following:
Expected time in transit.
Expected temperature in transit (weather conditions).
Packaging, including insulation against impact, heat, cold, and preventing suffocation.
Ability of an animal to survive without food or water during transport. Live animals must be transported without food or water, because liquids, moisture, and loose foodstuffs can cause damage to the shipping container, other mail, and Postal Service equipment during transport. The ability of the Postal Service to provide transportation and delivery service. Mailers are urged to work with postmasters in providing advance notification of shipments of live animals. The Postal Service advises destination and transfer offices when any significant quantities of animals are moving in the mail. Postal Service field personnel should consider a 4–hour time limit on the period during which animals (especially bees, day–old poultry, and adult birds) may move in a regular, closed Postal Service vehicle.

I have no idea who the contact is, but it isn't to notify anybody. The purpose was to ask permission to see if I was allowed to ship that day. Maybe they check temperatures or something, but nobody gave me any reasoning. And I'm NOT ALLOWED to ship unless I call this person first.

As for the food, if you're not allowed to put gro-gel in the box, a lot of people are out of compliance.

Why don't you go to another post office? There has got to be another one around you. You can call this number and MAYBE talk to someone who knows what they are doing, 1-800-ASK-USPS. They answer calls at these times, M-F - 8:00am-8:30pm ET,
Sat - 8:00am-6:00pm ET, Sunday - Closed. You can also file a complaint by calling this number. It's hard to find someone that knows what they are doing. I work for them, and trust me, they are doing different things everywhere! They need to get their act together! Good luck!

Why don't you go to another post office? There has got to be another one around you.

Lol! You'd think there would be another post office around, but the nearest one is almost an hour away
roll.png
I live in the middle of nowhere
lol.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom