Post-Op Concerns from Crop Impaction Surgery

shirauo

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jul 9, 2008
We finally did the crop impaction surgery ourselves on Friday night.

Last night (24 hours later) it felt like there was water in our hen's crop. This morning, It felt like it was still there. It's small- like maybe it has 2 ounces of water. At this point- after 24 hours on just water, anitbiotics & vitamins, she's just pooping water, so it seems like her system is "cleared out."

We did not close the dime-sized incision on the top of her crop, but did close the skin, which seems to have actually healed together in this first 24 hours! My worry is that:
1. Her crop is still impacted
2. The water is leaking OUT of her crop from her incision and pooling up
3. Her crop is distended and won't shrink back.

Here's the back story:
This bird is a 7-month-old Easter Egger

We noticed a mass/lump in January and have been trying to regulate it "non-invasively" (olive oil & bread, massage, isolating from the flock, soft food, yogurt, etc) ever since. It got particularly bad when we went out of town for a week and they only got out of the coop about an hour each day. It got to be the size of a baseball. On Friday, it was the size of a small cantaloupe.

On Friday, she was lethargic, regurgitating and had not layed eggs for about a week. When we operated on Friday Night, there was a lot of smelly brown fluid & gas in her crop along with a lot of grass & straw. (Yes, they had straw for bedding). Because of the severity, it took about 2 hours to complete the procedure.

She is in an isolated cage in the garage lined with newspaper to heal for this week. She is perky & happy today and eager to try to get her bandage off. She has been drinking her water and I just gave her an ounce of yogurt this morning, which she happily ate.

The incision site is clean, with no signs of swelling, oozing, redness or anything. In fact the tissue seems to already have healed together.

Is this normal?
What do we need to look for?
Do we need to open her up again?

I'm worried about massaging her crop, when it's still trying to heal.

Back
Top Bottom