Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
jodiv, in order to be able to feather sex, you have to select your breeders appropriately for it. Most breeders do not do this. You have to breed a fast feathering male to slow feathering female to get fast feathering pullets and slow feathering cockerels. Breeders generally do not keep track of who was fast or slow feathering, so when they match up their breeding pens, anything goes with the offspring. You may get lucky and get fast feathering girls, but it doesn't mean they will all be. I know in my stock that I have seen some fast and some slow feathering pullets, so really no way to feather sex them as babies.

thanks for the replys!

Hinkjc- thanks for the info, that makes sense.maybe I should get a book on how to vent sex...hahahaha.....so basically it's just as I thought before, watch and wait hehehehehe!
tongue.png

I am new to orpingtons! I was attracted to them by the way they look and what I hear about their personalities. I picked up 3 babies recently (well, 4 but discovered they threw in a white leghorn). As orpington owners, can you guess the gender of them for me?

These 3 are 6 weeks 4 days old. I have an idea about 2 and not sure about the other. What do you think? Girls or boys?

BO 1

1.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

BO 2

2.jpg

21.jpg

BO 3 This one would not sit still.

3.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

Quote:
smile.png
Guessing: 1st 3 pic HENS~next 2 pics Roos~then HEN~next pic # 7 Roo~next #8 ??? ~ I have only had pullet Orps but have raised Marans~Someone else will also answer you.
cool.png

Thanks Blu - there are actually only 3 birds there. The first I think is a hen, 2nd a roo, but the last one I'm not so sure about. The first has no red, 2nd definitely has red and a larger comb, and the 3rd is in the middle of both. The comb and color is right in the middle but showing red... just not as red as the 2nd.

Back
Top Bottom