Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
They look like big, beautiful boys! Are these guys part English?

Daphne got her birds form bamachicken and justuschickens59. I cannot believe how big they are in person. I have some pretty huge American girls, but I have never seen boys like this. Woo!

Yup, they truly are spectacular birds. I couldn't believe the size mine were as they started to mature, then they just kept growing and getting bigger and bigger. I've had several people visit my house and ask, "What are those big gray ones? Turkeys?"
lol.png

Hello everyone! I currently have Buff Orps and i am thinking about getting a better quality bird. Does anyone know someone who sells hatching eggs for show quality and or heritage? and also is NPIP? Thank you!

Nate

Quote:
I suggest you go to APA sanctioned shows and see who is in your area. I have had the best success at buying birds rather then buying hatching eggs. Great breeders like the Fred's and Doug's in our United Orpington Club do very well at setting up us fellow members with quality.
Here is an example of what I bought forless then what many pay for hatching eggs.

The Buff cock I paid $20 for. And 2 Fred hens I paid $25 a piece. That is my suggestion. You can try and buy hatching eggs. But for every one of this quality you may have to raise 20 chicks to cull down to just get one like these.

good luck

018vha.jpg

Here is a Buff I shown today who got Reserve of variety at the Connorsville show. I hatched and raised 25 to get one like this

008vh.jpg

Here is Doug's English Champ. This quality is one in a hundred to be raised.
Notice the huge head. The perfect tail. It takes years of selective breeding to get this type of quality. that is why you would do better buying a cull from a Buff breeder of this caliber.
009jam.jpg

Got qustion for yall, I got a buddy of mine who has a black Orp. rooster over 2 buff Orp. hens, anybody got any idea what color will come out of this matting ? I know someone has problely done this before, Thanks

What I've seen is buff with lots of bleed into black. They'll probably have lacing on the chest and sort of go from buff at the neck into really dark at the tail. Really odd but decorative colors. Colors you have to cull hard for generations to get back to a nice buff. I've been told that buff breeders do this to get back to a good buff color and it takes a long time. Someone posted pictures of them. I'll see if I can find one.

But in short, it messes up the colors bad.

ETA: You'll also get blacks. Here's a good thread about buff/black: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=578080

Last edited:
Quote:
I suggest you go to APA sanctioned shows and see who is in your area. I have had the best success at buying birds rather then buying hatching eggs. Great breeders like the Fred's and Doug's in our United Orpington Club do very well at setting up us fellow members with quality.
Here is an example of what I bought forless then what many pay for hatching eggs.

The Buff cock I paid $20 for. And 2 Fred hens I paid $25 a piece. That is my suggestion. You can try and buy hatching eggs. But for every one of this quality you may have to raise 20 chicks to cull down to just get one like these.

good luck

http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2381/018vha.jpg

Here is a Buff I shown today who got Reserve of variety at the Connorsville show. I hatched and raised 25 to get one like this

http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/901/008vh.jpg

Here is Doug's English Champ. This quality is one in a hundred to be raised.
Notice the huge head. The perfect tail. It takes years of selective breeding to get this type of quality. that is why you would do better buying a cull from a Buff breeder of this caliber.
http://img607.imageshack.us/img607/210/009jam.jpg

I have to ask about this- what do you call this behind-the-neck area? I am not crazy about the lines on this particular roo- it just looks strange to me. Please forgive my primitive paint skills!
lol.png

28521_billbuffs.jpg

Back
Top Bottom