Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

to be honest you guys, we went to 3 shows over there..at the biggest show we asked one of the show stewards where the blk orps and buffs were, they pointed to row 4 the cages were stacked 3 deep as there were a lot of entries we walked right by the buffs and blacks at first and seriously i thought they were cohins..my nephew calls them cohiningtons. in my small mind i thought i was seeing things..they explained to me they really focused on type..it was unreal how different they evolvee from ours..i think the top american birds are veery special. and it would be very sad to not keep our line going improvimg a little of this or that as it goes along. these import us crosses have a unique beautiful quality some of the birds i see in here are living art works..these breeders should be praised. i have a couple . getting some more.there is just something about them. unique comes to mind..as for the british birds , i like them too for different reasons. i did point out to orp man that i picked up a bit of knowlege about judging the british birds when over there talking to different breeders using one of his birds to illustrate..the chest is supposed to be Round, he has a hen in his pics that has a square chest..it is considered a pretty serious fault over there.
also we talked about how lot of british australorps wer too fluffy for anyones standard.LOL!!! My husband saw the very round british versions when we were there and called them the cartoon chickens.just because they were so round.they are dorable

Last edited:
I agree with Walt, when we were in england I was absolutly shocked when we went to ther show and what we saw as orpingtons.

there is a fantastic illustration of this at the united orpington club web site..it shows side by side what the american version is supposed to look like and the modern british version..we absolutly do not have any birds here that look like what I saw in england and united orpington photos side by side is perfectly showing what Im trying to describe.

I did not copy paste because Im not sure if I can in here as its borrowed from thier site but it would be very very helpful for people to see the differences which is , well we dont have anything that looks like thier show birds.

borrowed this to show what I have been trying to describe . it is an interesting conversation . I will delete it , just trying to show people the difference... what we call english could not pass in thier show circuts

My Blues will looks like this one day, either that or I'll die of old age trying to get them to be this shape.

I look at it this way- if that was my bird, and I was cleaning house at shows (that bird is a known show winner) then as an exhibitor WHY would I want to let go of any of my stock to anyone in my own country, let alone ship them across the ocean for Americans to mess up?
lol.png
wink.png

Not one person can tell me honestly that they would give their best bird away without a second thought. So no, the recently imported Orpingtons from the UK may not look exactly like the bird pictured above, but they are something to start working with in hopes of achieving that type eventually. It may take importing another line of birds with better type in the future to get there or just years of careful selective breeding. Either way, I'm in for the long haul.

My Blues will looks like this one day, either that or I'll die of old age trying to get them to be this shape.

Either way, I'm in for the long haul. Go!!! Jeremy. I would put forth the idea that even the most competitive of exhibitors, if they truly care about their breed, do what they can to share stock and insure the future of their own work. No great fun being the only exhibitor who stands much of a chance. Way cool to get to a show, bench your entry and start looking around thinking " there are some really, really nice birds here; I could get my *** kicked. " :)

But, as Walt has pointed out numerous times, they will no longer be Orpingtons according to the American Standard.

Newbies get confused as to what an Orpington is. Between the hatchery lines, SOP lines and imported lines we have three different type large fowl Orpingtons. I have many times seen taht youth crying about his County Fair Grand Champion being disqualified at a sanctioned show. He had ordered from a hatchery and did not understand why he had lost. I located a breeder and introduced them. The next year the youth was back. He did not win, but was not disqualified. A person can raise what ever they want in their own backyard. But when you attend an American show, those birds will be judged by the SOP. Now if an imported bird is entered as such, then the would not be judged by the SOP. The exhibitor would ahve to provide a copy of the imported standard. It would also only compete against itself, as it would be disqualified by the SOP. If the breeders of imported Orpingtons got together and worked hard, in 5 years they actually may achieve acceptance. Walt can tell you it would not be easy, but is in their grasp.

It occurs to me that those birds are not too far off from what I've seen posted here. Their own show winners don't even look like that to me.

Jim, once again, no one here that raises the UK SOP type cares about the APA standard or getting acceptance. They generally dont' even show their birds. Having them accepted as a separate type would only confuse things further.

As for Hatchery being one type and SOP being another, that is not unique to the Orpington at all.

Last edited:
Quote:
A person can raise what ever they want in their own backyard. But when you attend an American show, those birds will be judged by the SOP. Now if an imported bird is entered as such, then the would not be judged by the SOP. The exhibitor would ahve to provide a copy of the imported standard. It would also only compete against itself, as it would be disqualified by the SOP. If the breeders of imported Orpingtons got together and worked hard, in 5 years they actually may achieve acceptance. Walt can tell you it would not be easy, but is in their grasp.

I believe many of the owners of the imported Orpingtons have expressed that they have no interest at all in showing their birds, making a standard for them, or working on them for acceptance in the APA SOP.

These birds are not for everyone. Specifically, those that show. Remember, less than 1% of all poultry owners show their birds. As you said, "A person can raise what ever they want in their own backyard."

I am keeping my English and American Orps seperate, and then I have a little pen for splits. I don't sell many birds except for a few hatches of blue chicks every summer. There still aren't many blues out here, so they bring people in. I think the people that go out of thier way (my place in the boonies, for example) know what they want and what they are getting. I do the same thing. Oh, the miles I have put on the jeep the last 5 years....

I don't think anybody is seriously going to get confused by 2 different standards though. You can't (in a backyard setting) get from one type to the other without crossing, and that in itself takes a bit of research.

I'm back again with that same chicken :) I am about 100% that it's a cockerel now that those tail feathers are growing in. Yes? Just taking a long time for the comb etc to start growing and getting red. If there is ANY chance this is a girl, I want to keep it. No crowing.. yet and it's 15 weeks old.... thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom