Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
We have several shows in Arkansas in both Spring and Fall.

guess i had better re-join APA ..member of just about everything else..forgot about them. probably wont be recorded anywhere if i dont

I joined in 1982. Then in 1991 joined as an Endowment Trust Life member. It was just $100 back then. Have saved a lot of $$$$. Today the Endowment Trust Life is $365.00. Check out http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/APA_ShoppingMall3.htm to join. Annual membership is just $20 for one year and $50 for 3 years.

Quote:

There are also lots of articles by top and experienced breeders. These are found nowhere else but the yearbook.

was talking to a freind tonight at work that goes all over US showing..they said same 5 judges do ohio every year is that true? we were trying to lay out itenerary for 2012...they kind of said , well stay away from this show or that show because of this or that.and they were showing some ducks, a judge freind said dont take those ducks to ohio' because a red muskovy will win that class every year.because thats what the judge likes..want to spend the travel bucks wisely.not sure if some of that is true because in my experience so far every judge has picked the bird who deserved to win. and every show weve been to has different judges every year..once in a great while they get a repeat judge but i have seen nothing like what they were talking about.but then havnt traveled that far yet.

Last edited:
was talking to a freind tonight at work that goes all over US showing..they said same 5 judges do ohio every year is that true? we were trying to lay out itenerary for 2012...they kind of said , well stay away from this show or that show because of this or that.and they were showing some ducks, a judge freind said dont take those ducks to ohio' because a red muskovy will win that class every year.because thats what the judge likes..want to spend the travel bucks wisely.not sure if some of that is true because in my experience so far every judge has picked the bird who deserved to win. and every show weve been to has different judges every year..once in a great while they get a repeat judge but i have seen nothing like what they were talking about.but then havnt traveled that far yet.
When you say Ohio I assume they mean Columbus. Lucasville has different judges all the time. I judged at Columbus last year and didn't put up any Muscovies. The bantam ducks took the Waterfowl class. When Muscovies win it is usually a black one.
You will hear all kinds of things from people. If judges are not picked for a show they sometimes bad mouth it. There is no red muscovy but I think they mean chocolate and that just is not the truth. Bantam ducks or geese typically win at Columbus.

Walt

Quote:
Thats because the judges at Colombus are BLIND! Not! It is because there are so amny excellent Bantam Ducks that are bred near and in Ohio! Tough to beat some of them.

You "hear" a lot of stuff in the Fancy. Not all of it is true. Some folks get jealous in any area of life and will tell lies. Rumor has it I beat women and children. But two judges said I was innocent and I have custody of my kids. You just can't believe everything you hear. For the most part. Most shows will try to at least rotate judges. At Crossroads they had a clutch of judges. Not sure even the show officials knew how many. Though some breeds only had one judge. Classes had two or more. So each class may have had several judges placing the class champions. The Grand Champions had an entire team of judges.

For the most part. majority of judges are honest and judge to their best interpretation, the Standard of Perfection. But its like the Bible. Matthew, Mark, Like and John all walked with Jesus and observed the same situations. Yet, each seen it from their own viewpoint. Your bird may suddenly drop its tail or otherwise not stand correctly for the judge. What a judge sees is all that is important. We ahve won at one show and lost at the next. One breeder and I would laugh about who would win this show. We were the only ones with that breed in the area and we would compete against each other. You have poor sportsmanship in all sports. But most of the Fancy are good folks that enjoy it.

Quote:

That is quality photography!

thanks walt, ive never been there...so it sounded kind of funny..i have not had an experience like that.birds who won should have won at the shows ive been to...talking to the pastor romig about showing for me whilst he visting some shows in his off judging times.we are working it out as i work at a hospital and they only alloted so much time off. ive already put in for 3 shows all APA northeast. so if we get anything real good , hes going to take them around when he shows his bramahs.

I have a question for all of the Orp owners out there. When you candle the eggs do they appear almost lacy - as if you can see all the holes or pores? I got a complaint from a customer who received eggs a couple of weeks ago that they were "too porous". When I asked what they meant, they said you could see all the holes in the egg. But I have 5 dozen hatching/pipping in my bator right this moment and another few dozen that went in a week ago and more sitting on the counter to go in so I candled them and I think what they are referring to is how they do appear almost lacy and fragile and the light just beams through the pores. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else's eggs are the same way. Most of my other breeds of eggs are dark - either dark brown, speckled, or olive and are too hard to see through so I rarely candle. The Orp eggs are the only ones that the light shows up so well that you can practically see through the pores.

We don't have that many, but the ones we have are originally from Jody & Charlie Hink and most of ours here do seem porous. They hatch fine though. We got both chicks and eggs from them and I never noticed if their eggs were porous because I don't bother candling until lockdown. Most of our hatching eggs last year were marans or blue/green and it's not worth the bother to candle early.
Like you , Ruth, it's nice to have at least a few in a hatch to let you see something might happen!

I have a question for all of the Orp owners out there. When you candle the eggs do they appear almost lacy - as if you can see all the holes or pores? I got a complaint from a customer who received eggs a couple of weeks ago that they were "too porous". When I asked what they meant, they said you could see all the holes in the egg. But I have 5 dozen hatching/pipping in my bator right this moment and another few dozen that went in a week ago and more sitting on the counter to go in so I candled them and I think what they are referring to is how they do appear almost lacy and fragile and the light just beams through the pores. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else's eggs are the same way. Most of my other breeds of eggs are dark - either dark brown, speckled, or olive and are too hard to see through so I rarely candle. The Orp eggs are the only ones that the light shows up so well that you can practically see through the pores.
Photo of a porous egg:

Above from here.

Below from here.
What Percent of Fertile Eggs Are Culls?

Depending on a company's situation, there can be considerable variation in egg culling. For example, if there is a strong demand for fertile eggs, as was experienced during the worldwide Myeloid Leikosis problem in heavy breeders, the focus must be on hatching the maximum number of eggs. At a commercial poultry integration, evaluation of results from more than 85 million eggs collected showed that under normal field conditions, the percent of cull fertile eggs should not exceed 4.0% during a 40-week production cycle. Table 1 shows the percent of the various categories for cull eggs during the four year period of the study.
These data are for normal conditions. However, if the market demands more fertile eggs and level of management at the breeder and broiler farms is excellent, less restrictive egg selection could be practiced. The 4% total cull eggs can be reduced to 2.5 to 3.0%. This can be achieved by decreasing the number of cracked eggs, by saving the mildly deformed and porous eggs, and by reducing minimum egg weights for incubation.
Table 1.
Categorizing cull eggs
Category of cull egg

%

Cracks/broken

Double Yolk

Pee Wee

Dirty

Deformed

Porous

Total

Hatchability of Cull Eggs

These studies have demostrated that many fertile eggs classified as culls can produce quality broilers, even though they have a reduced percent hatch. Use of these eggs is an efficient and practical way to increase the number of eggs and chicks produced per hen housed. Table 2 shows the results of more than 13,000 under-grade broiler fertile eggs that were incubated at the Poultry Integration Grupo Melo S.A. in Panama. Clearly, many fertile eggs that would have been discarded have the potential to hatch.
Table 2.
Hatchability of undergrade eggs.
Egg type

% hatch

Small

Deformed

Large

Porous

31.61​

Last edited:
Thanks Kathy - that's kind of what I'm seeing but all of the five dozen eggs I put in bator developed and are pipping right now and Nellie bought a dozen and has 10 about to pip so that's why I'm asking if others are seeing something like this in their Orp eggs. My Orp eggs are also very large. Most people that have ordered them comment on how extra large, jumbo, they are even when compared with Orp eggs they are already getting from their own Orps.

Back
Top Bottom