Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Hi - I'm trying to post pics of my almost 4 week old orps and maybe some kind soul will have pity on me and help me figure out if either is a male? I've got 4 lavender, and three look exactly alike (except for the markings on their beaks) - so I'll try to post only one of those :)

if any are boys - this one's it!
I think ??

and I think this is a girl (3 like this one ... please oh please tell me it's a girl!)

and then I've got this one that I think is a girl... the gent I bought them from said it was a yellow cuckoo orp and when I saw the pictures online of them, i just fell head over heels in love. I've felt funny telling anyone that that I know - but I have a feeling you guys will understand!

I can't keep the males where I live, so if anyone is in the S. Jersey area and is interested in a roo (after I'm sure who's who) just let me know! thanks for any help....

Are you using cedar shavings??? If you are.. please replace them with pine asap.... cedar is not good for your babies.
Why is that? I have a good friend and she says that's all she uses and never has problems with lice or mites? I mean I'll do it first thing but I'm just curious

cedar shavings are not suitable for most small animals. yes, it keeps the mites and stuff away but the oils cause respiratory problems.

Yes, the very oils that keep the bugs away can cause respiratory problems. People do it and seem to have no problems sometimes but why ask for trouble.

In addition to the respiratory problems, the phenols in cedar that keep the bugs away actually cause liver damage. It's not that they can cause liver damage, they DO cause liver damage. There are numerous studies that prove this, in animals and humans alike, and in light of that hard evidence I see no reason to continue to use them even if someone you know has "always" used them and "never had any problems." I know cedar irritates my airways to the point where if I even pick up an animal that is housed on cedar my throat starts to get a little sore!

Oh, and I agree, that first chick has got to be a boy, the second one certainly looks like a girl. I can't really tell from the angle of the picture on the third one, to me it looks like it could go either way but I'm leaning more towards girl.

Last edited:
OK - pine shavings bought and replaced in the brooder! thanks for the info everyone!

now ... what do i do with a 3/4 full bag of cedar? does anyone happen to know? can i use it for mulch or something in flower beds maybe?

Before you get too excited you may want to read this. http://ratfanclub.org/litters.html
smile.png

OK - pine shavings bought and replaced in the brooder! thanks for the info everyone!

now ... what do i do with a 3/4 full bag of cedar? does anyone happen to know? can i use it for mulch or something in flower beds maybe?

Back
Top Bottom