Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
Thanks for posting this Kathy. I'd love to get into breeding, but that's further down the road. I love all of these colors, but I think the blue is just the most awesome coloration in a bird that I've ever seen.
wee.gif

It has been brought to my attention that my previously thought of Blue Splash cockerel, is infact a self Blue. Also known as LAVENDER I believe. His mommy is a Blue Splash. And thanks to this chart, the only other choice can be Self Blue. Doug says it is a Self Blue. The breeder who I got my girl from is known to have Lav splits. Apparently I have one and never knew it, I guess the BUS has that same gene from his Black background. Which is MT HEALTHY Hatchery. Whatta a place to find a Lav gene. I am guessing, that is where the BUS got it. It can not be from the Doug AKERS Buff line that is BUS's mommy.
So this Self Blue boy was a shocker to my Blacks girls breeder. And I guess me too. I NEVER intended on being a part of the Lav Project. I am now....

387547355.jpg

The yellow chick is another Self Blue from the BUS.

387547357.jpg

387548034.jpg

I made a few photos this afternoon of some of my blacks and blues that hatched on Feb 1. They are really growing out nice. Most of them wouldn't come out of the pen. This was the first time I have let them on grass
018-4.jpg

021-4.jpg

Hey Kathy, Here are a few more
048.jpg

This girl is a beautiful color with great lacing. she would not come on out so you can see how large she is. The blue cockerel would come out either. He is very typey and looks like he will turn out really good.
Here is a darker blue pullet. She is nice a typey and looks like she will be a good breeder. I will probably put a splash over her and see if I can lighten the blue and get good lacing.
044.jpg

Kathy I don't don't cull until five months unless they are particulary small or have some fault I don't want like to many points on the comb or yuky type that i can tell before five months. I have about ten black cockerels in this group and there are 3 i am culling this week. The rest are a wait and see. I like all the rest but am only keeping two. I have my two favs this point but am waiting to see . I wish they all would have come out so I could have done some comparision photos.

Here are some younger ones on wire still.
035-2.jpg

Kathy also, I don't keep a cockerel if he is real leggy. i don't want to breed that in.

lildinkem the more the merrier.. was hoping BamaChicken to would also work on some..good stock there to work with.. we will get these lavender orps looking real good till its all said and done here in the USA and so very very soon.... Im lovin it..

lol
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
It's sorta like Christmas. Or hittin the lottery. I was still in denial till I read that chart, sreihart was nice to share. Then I still couldn't see how. Still can't. But I am here and in anyway. Now I have to wear Lav colored sunglasses to get the real look of my BUS and what he is.

A 12 lbs Black Lav split.
Can ya see it? I still can't, lolololol

378407597.jpg

Back
Top Bottom