Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Quote:
I'd say if she has 12 lbs hens, she needs to get a nice type Black Orpington purebred male to take to them. And wouldn't surprise me at all she gets solid color babies.

She does have a really nice typey Black Orp male with them now one that I raised from Bamachickens, Charlie. He had a lot of red leakage in his neck so I asked her if she would take him and put over those hens and I will be hatching the eggs a little later. I didn't want to get rid of the rooster because he's so typey so took him to her place to see if the red will eventually leave when he molts another time or 2.

DSCN4856.jpg

DSCN4858.jpg

This boy is only about 7 months old in that photo.

Quote:
I'd say if she has 12 lbs hens, she needs to get a nice type Black Orpington purebred male to take to them. And wouldn't surprise me at all she gets solid color babies.

She does have a really nice typey Black Orp male with them now one that I raised from Bamachickens, Charlie. He had a lot of red leakage in his neck so I asked her if she would take him and put over those hens and I will be hatching the eggs a little later. I didn't want to get rid of the rooster because he's so typey so took him to her place to see if the red will eventually leave when he molts another time or 2.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/jmhappycowboy/LF Orpingtons/DSCN4856.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/jmhappycowboy/LF Orpingtons/DSCN4858.jpg

One of my friends has a Black male and he HAD Red Leakage around his eyebrows, only to have it totally disappear after his molt. Will it comeback? Who know's. And I like his type I would keep him and see. nice male!

Last edited:
Red leakage on black and blue is very bad if you're breeding for true colors. I've seen this nightmare with araucana breedings and the red takes many generations to get rid of. And it's not easy because even the hens have it, but you can't see it. It's in their genetic makeup if they come from the same line as a rooster showing the leakage. Roosters are easy to cull, but the hens are tough to figure out. You'll typically have to breed them back to a good black/blue and see if they're sons show it to identify if a hen has it. Some hens will get a random red feather, but most times you won't see it on them.

Going back to the look of Orpingtons, the original development of Orpington included Minorca, Langshan and Plymouth Rock. Only when buffs were developed was cochin added to the mix to develop buff coloring on orps, along with golden spangled hamburg and dark dorking. So to clarify, the blacks were developed with Rock blood long before they found their way to America. I think it's important for those developing a desire to work with Orpington to understand the history of the breed, as well as appropriate standards for American breeding. It's fine to enjoy the look of something different, but it's also important to understand those should not be "show winners" here in America as they do not meet the standard here nor the original plan for the breed.

Quote:

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/jmhappycowboy/LF Orpingtons/DSCN4856.jpg

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp190/jmhappycowboy/LF Orpingtons/DSCN4858.jpg

One of my friends has a Black male and he HAD Red Leakage around his eyebrows, only to have it totally disappear after his molt. Will it comeback? Who know's. And I like his type I would keep him and see. nice male!

I had 3 roosters like that from Charlie and I was told by a genetic expert it would come back and not to use them as breeder birds at all.

Where could the red leackage be coming from in the background of the birds ? Charlie has some very nice looking birds. Im trying to picture any of the foundation birds having that

Last edited:
LOL! Got some of that myself ..just got a few more after that post...WHEW! Someday I want to get down your way and see your flock. what a treat. Maybe buy a few .

Last edited:
I agree too steer away from any Red Leakage birds if your goal is to have a pure Black or Blue flock 1 outta 7 last year of my Black males to hatch had it. And was eliminated. Lite eye too is another one to look out for with that outcross. In my limited breeding I did not have any. But, it too is a very common defect. Definite one to not use if it appears in ones Black Pure Orp flock.

Quote:
As you an see from reading jmhappycowboy's post it is not the Hinkles Jody or Charlie
wink.png
that our birds had red leakage from.
smile.png

Oh I had gold eye color even in the exhibition Superior Farm pure black orp rooster I "had" among other traits!

Back
Top Bottom