Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

They start the dance as a warning... that if you keep messin with them ... your gonna get attacked with flying spurs and a sharp beak.

Thank you. This very good information to have. I did have a very young one that did this and I got rid of him (I didn't like the way he looked at me, just a bad feeling on my part). As you have probably already guessed I have not had very many roosters.

Thanks thy are rather fat :) they love it now they get to free range during the day in part of the yard I fenced of just for them. Our LS hate chicks so have to be kept away from them.

They start the dance as a warning... that if you keep messin with them ... your gonna get attacked with flying spurs and a sharp beak.
I've only had chickens for 8 months. If anyone wants to post a different observation, please do, I can learn from your experience.

But, in all fairness, let's not forget that some pullets can be bossy too. I have one cockerel that thought he was in charge until the pullet pecked him on several occasions almost in the air-but on his neck. Wouldn't let him in the coop for two days. He had to win her over. Now he continues the dance, but we all really know he's not in charge.
big_smile.png

Also, I think the cockerel's age has to be considered. They mellow out sometimes. You might end up eating your best rooster! I'm not sure at what age they are no longer teenagers, but they get a bad reputation sometimes for just being terrible teenagers that end up maturing into a great addition to your flock. My terrible teen is my favorite cockerel. Not too rough on the girls, watches the sky when they are out, and spends the rest of the time looking for treats for them.

Another observation of mine has been that my sweetest, never a threat, you can turn your back on, cockerel, came out of nowhere and gave me a nice bruise. What gives?

I'm not advocating keeping a cockerel that has indeed attacked you. And i might be making a novice mistake and doom is just around the corner, but honestly, I think this one's a keeper.

I use a very useful tool for cockerels, it is called the *advance*. Some go through a very ugly period of challenging. Some are very discrete about it. That pants pulling might be begging, but, it is the beginning of biting. In my book that is aggression. You need to be aware of cockerel behavior. They usually start with the *bump*. You bend down to feed and they bump your hand or the pan. You need to advance. Not ignore. You just make them move. If they bump again you make them move more..etc until the bumping stops and respect is returned. The wing drop and dance comes after a bunch of little things they have done already when they were younger. Some of it is cute when they are little, it is not cute when they are big or you have kids in the pen with a 10 lb rooster chasing them or biting them. Stopping young cockerel aggressive behavior is easier when they are 4lbs. Never leave a room where a cockerel has challenged you, make them leave through *advance*. If it is outdoors make them go indoors through *advance*. The bird is going to bite again, next time he does that, make him move. You can safely hand feed chickens, some just need a few etiquette lessons.

I do not strike my birds. I know some kick them or hit them with sticks. It works for them. I do not want damaged meat. Chickens are pretty sensitive and pick up on our reactions. I have on occasion pulled a feather on a young cockerel who simply did not get it fast enough for me. If they are displaying alpha behaviors and you correct those behaviors, you come out on top. Even at a very young age cockerels display aggressive tendencies. I am sure many of you have had a young cockerel at 4 weeks of age, puff up his chest bump your hand. It is adorable to see that puffed up chest and display. it is aggression and needs to be nipped in the bud if you are concerned about aggression. It can be toned down by simply picking them up, and stroking them into chattering submission at that young age. There is nothing wrong with not correcting those behaviors. Some enjoy the nature of roosters who are a bit aggressive. It tends to keep people away from the flock. Some make really good flock protectors.

I have never culled a cockerel for aggression. Ever.

Last edited:

ONE time only !

AMEN. Any of my boys that have done that to me (and all tried it at one time or the other - ONCE) I snatch that little terd up and hold his head on the ground till he stays there when I take my hand away. And doesn't move a feather till I let him know he can. I've raised 6 roosters now, not including the young one I have at the moment, and two didn't get the message. One was darn tasty and the other got fed to the flock. He was a mixed breed that tasted like crap.

I don't care how big a rooster is for a chicken, I'm still 5 1/2 feet tall and 145 lbs. Beat that, chicken!

And what Delisha said. Advance. Make them move. Don't ever walk around one. Walk through it if it won't move for you. Walk like you are the King or Queen of the Universe and 50 feet tall. Even my nicest roo at times got bowled over by me testing to see if I'd yield. Never had a moment's trouble from him after the initial test and getting held down. But he and the others will test you a tiny bit from time to time.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom