Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Dear Dragonlady,

I took couple of black & white photos of my mature girls so to compare their silhouette to the photos of your birds. While viewing your photos, I saw the Japanese Rooster Tapestry, and my oh my! it is gorgeous!! The expressions of their faces illustrates the personalities so vividly, and the movement of their feathers brings them to life. It is exquisite.....

It looks like quite a large format, and old in age. I sat here for the longest time studying each detail. What a fine work of art......

Lual
Thank you ! I bought that tapestry over the net in 2000. When it arrived, I unrolled it on my living room floor. Yikes ! If I had sneezed, those wonderful cockerel faces would have been gone. The silk had turned to frayed pieces as silk will. I turned off the AC to that room, and locked the doors to give myself time to think. How to save it ????? Sometime that night a plan hatched in my sleeping brain.

The upshot was that I spent 3 months on my knees with a watercolor brush aligning those shredded fibers.The gold wrapped background was a mess, as some nut had glued whole areas of loose threads.I won't tell you what I used to adhere those silk fibers, but it was very tedious work. At the time of arrival, the tapestry was 5 feet by 10 feet long. I had to shorten it 6" to salvage some threads.

Finally, after another 3 months of work, I made a stretcher for it, and was able to slide the tapestry on it, and put it on my dining room table. What a relief to my back ! The old Obi border was a total loss, so I used wide gold silk ribbon for the border. My wonderful frame guy found museum acrylic for the frame, and 4 of us got it under cover at last.

I was so thrilled to have saved this piece, as it was not made for export. It is late Edo period, or very early Meiji Japanese. That makes it at least 150-200 years old.The detail is truly amazing.Wonderful padded embroidery, and string technique, used by people who knew and valued chickens. When I later sent photos of it to the sellers, they told me that they had taken it to 3 "restorers" on the West Coast , all of whom had told them it was not salvageable.

Here it is. More detail photos on my page.......

Thank you ! I bought that tapestry over the net in 2000. When it arrived, I unrolled it on my living room floor. Yikes ! If I had sneezed, those wonderful cockerel faces would have been gone. The silk had turned to frayed pieces as silk will. I turned off the AC to that room, and locked the doors to give myself time to think. How to save it ????? Sometime that night a plan hatched in my sleeping brain. The upshot was that I spent 3 months on my knees with a watercolor brush aligning those shredded fibers.The gold wrapped background was a mess, as some nut had glued whole areas of loose threads.I won't tell you what I used to adhere those silk fibers, but it was very tedious work. At the time of arrival, the tapestry was 5 feet by 10 feet long. I had to shorten it 6" to salvage some threads. Finally, after another 3 months of work, I made a stretcher for it, and was able to slide the tapestry on it, and put it on my dining room table. What a relief to my back ! The old Obi border was a total loss, so I used wide gold silk ribbon for the border. My wonderful frame guy found museum acrylic for the frame, and 4 of us got it under cover at last. I was so thrilled to have saved this piece, as it was not made for export. It is late Edo period, or very early Meiji Japanese. That makes it at least 150-200 years old.The detail is truly amazing.Wonderful padded embroidery, and string technique, used by people who knew and valued chickens. When I later sent photos of it to the sellers, they told me that they had taken it to 3 "restorers" on the West Coast , all of whom had told them it was not salvageable. Here it is. More detail photos on my page.......
Wow, just amazing!

Thanks for the info on the colors

You are welcome but please do not take it as a fact but just my understanding of the reading I have been doing. I would like to know if my basic understanding is correct or at least on the right track. I will continue to try and research Spangled and Mottled in order to gain a better understanding. .

Thank you ! I bought that tapestry over the net in 2000. When it arrived, I unrolled it on my living room floor. Yikes ! If I had sneezed, those wonderful cockerel faces would have been gone. The silk had turned to frayed pieces as silk will. I turned off the AC to that room, and locked the doors to give myself time to think. How to save it ????? Sometime that night a plan hatched in my sleeping brain.

The upshot was that I spent 3 months on my knees with a watercolor brush aligning those shredded fibers.The gold wrapped background was a mess, as some nut had glued whole areas of loose threads.I won't tell you what I used to adhere those silk fibers, but it was very tedious work. At the time of arrival, the tapestry was 5 feet by 10 feet long. I had to shorten it 6" to salvage some threads.

Finally, after another 3 months of work, I made a stretcher for it, and was able to slide the tapestry on it, and put it on my dining room table. What a relief to my back ! The old Obi border was a total loss, so I used wide gold silk ribbon for the border. My wonderful frame guy found museum acrylic for the frame, and 4 of us got it under cover at last.

I was so thrilled to have saved this piece, as it was not made for export. It is late Edo period, or very early Meiji Japanese. That makes it at least 150-200 years old.The detail is truly amazing.Wonderful padded embroidery, and string technique, used by people who knew and valued chickens. When I later sent photos of it to the sellers, they told me that they had taken it to 3 "restorers" on the West Coast , all of whom had told them it was not salvageable.

Here it is. More detail photos on my page.......
This is really good!

Now that i have got more hens and Bella isn't at the bottom, she has calmed down. She has gone boring! Her mother has left the chicks now and they have started following Bella and instead of acting like the old Bella who would beat them and try to kill them, she has been hanging around with them and sharing food and water with them. She has even started to accept pecks when usually she would lift her head higher than the other hen and start pecking her!

Now that i have got more hens and Bella isn't at the bottom, she has calmed down. She has gone boring! Her mother has left the chicks now and they have started following Bella and instead of acting like the old Bella who would beat them and try to kill them, she has been hanging around with them and sharing food and water with them. She has even started to accept pecks when usually she would lift her head higher than the other hen and start pecking her!
Good to hear! But I'm sure her adventures aren't over. :)

Back
Top Bottom