Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

That white hen may be hiding cuckoo, the plumage looks like it. There looks like a super light dusting on the outer edge of her feathers..unless she is molting..or its the lighting..

Nice...
D.gif

Last edited:
I'm loving all these pictures and stories of projects, and that many of you are doing all these projects. Has certainly got me thinking about what I might do with what I have!
Just cold rain here, though a skiff of snow in the hills around us. When it freezes here, we just hand water. A friend on the frozen side of our state uses heat tape around all his PVC waterers. Sounds like it works well.

Quote:

Beth, it is amazing as to what can happen with orps, this is my fluke that I can't wait to see how he finishes out!!
ep.gif

My lavender orpington. Yes, he is a lavender orpington!!!
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49849_dsc06781.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49849_dsc06782.jpg

O.k. so now for the details. First let me say that his legs are not yellow, I think it was a combo of the brooder lighting and my camera that make them look yellow, but he is in with yellow legged chicks so I know for sure. He is approx 4-5 weeks old. Oh and yes it is a cockerel!

He is the offspring of a lavender orpington rooster over two orpington hens, a lavender and a split black = 100% orpington. Obviously someone is hiding white?? It will be very interesting to see how he finishes out. He has just the one dark spot as of yet, still not sure if it's black or lav and he has just a couple of slate marks near the hock area on both legs. Just goes to show that when working with lavender you just never know what might pop up.
smile.png

Would this be a splash coloring or can they finish feather differently? We have Sebastopol Geese who are blue splash, with feathering similar to that. One is growing out more coloring than the other two.

Quote:
hee hee, triple TP box....I learned that cold weather lesson long time ago too..I get everything (including christmas lights out first warm spell in november)..cant wait to get that new barn up.

you should have seen mr softie this morning, we had first trace of snow, he walked out the door, started out to the yard , then realised something was different and started backwards toward the hut like he just walked up to the edge of the earth...lordy that was funny...

Last edited:
Quote:
Beth, it is amazing as to what can happen with orps, this is my fluke that I can't wait to see how he finishes out!!
ep.gif

My lavender orpington. Yes, he is a lavender orpington!!!
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49849_dsc06781.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/49849_dsc06782.jpg

O.k. so now for the details. First let me say that his legs are not yellow, I think it was a combo of the brooder lighting and my camera that make them look yellow, but he is in with yellow legged chicks so I know for sure. He is approx 4-5 weeks old. Oh and yes it is a cockerel!

He is the offspring of a lavender orpington rooster over two orpington hens, a lavender and a split black = 100% orpington. Obviously someone is hiding white?? It will be very interesting to see how he finishes out. He has just the one dark spot as of yet, still not sure if it's black or lav and he has just a couple of slate marks near the hock area on both legs. Just goes to show that when working with lavender you just never know what might pop up.
smile.png

Would this be a splash coloring or can they finish feather differently? We have Sebastopol Geese who are blue splash, with feathering similar to that. One is growing out more coloring than the other two.

I do not know of any "lavender splash" orpingtons, not sure it is genetically possibly as lavender is a dilute of black and splash is blue???
hu.gif
Not sure what he will/would be called, white with smut, overly mottled lavender or maybe even a "paint orpington" like the paint silkies!
lau.gif
tongue.png

Last edited:
Quote:

I do not know of any "lavender splash" orpingtons, not sure it is genetically possibly as lavender is a dilute of black and splash is blue???
hu.gif
Not sure what he will/would be called, white with smut, overly mottled lavender or maybe even a "paint orpington" like the paint silkies!
lau.gif
tongue.png

Im guessing a recessive white popped out.

Back
Top Bottom