Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

turkeybreederI do use TSC's store brand DUMOR layers. And have usually near 85% hatch rate for my birds. I think the key problem with your problem is that you got "SHIPPED" eggs. From my experience with shipped eggs it is hit and miss. In most cases I am lucky to get 25% hatch rate. Now eggs from a few like my buddy Harry I got 27 outta 32 which were fertile. I think the USPS has alot to do with the success rate in shipped eggs. With that being said I found, in agreement with the best breeders, that you are better off buying already hatched chickens. Preferably already grown out chickens.
Today I went the the nations largest 4-H seminar, put on by the Boone County 4-H Club here in Lebanon Indiana. Doug Akers has this every year around this time. It is a great experience for all, not just the little ones. Folks like me can buy chickens at a fair price for Exhibition breeds. Today I seen 2 outstanding White Rock large fowl cockerels sold. Many many bantams sold. All ages were in attendance. Many familiar faces from shows here in the Midwest.
Now for the good part. I ran into the same folks who sold me my Buff Sports. I am to pick up 5 more Tuesday, and on that same trip I will be seeing a famous White Wyandotte breeder who is going to get me 5 SINGLE COMB WHITE WYANDOTTE chicks. Both these Buff Sports and the Single Comb White Wyandottes will be used by me to make some White Orpingtons. To say I am excited is beyond what words can describe.
This is what all the HUBUBB is about BUB. Where are you going to find a White Orpington, with this type, and size, and a breeder willing to give him away for free cause he is a Buff Sport?
No where but here in INDIANA!

001nry.jpg

These pics were taken by Larry Lee, my Buddy who put up with me on this fun filled day.
Can you seen the awesome White Rock that was for sale? ONLY HERE IN INDIANA!!!
GOD I LOVE IT HERE!
boonecounty4hclub.jpg

Place was packed. Must have been 150 or more folks there.
boonecounty4hclubsemina.jpg

Last edited:
Quote:
When we were kids they called days like that a Field Trip. Still feels the same and does a world of good.

Quote:
I am sure the wealth of fun and knowledge was spread around for everyone. I can not see anyone outdoing me but I am sure those lucky folks who got some of these quality White Rocks would diasgree!

Quote:
When we were kids they called days like that a Field Trip. Still feels the same and does a world of good.

The true field trip Dave will be on Tuesday. I hope to bring em back and take a few pics for all to see.

Took some pictures of the buffs this afternoon.
I can't help but thinking that if the blues and splash and lavenders all came decades ago, and the buffs were new on the scene, that the golden beauties would be the bird to go crazy over.

46167_img_1997.jpg

46167_img_1992.jpg

46167_img_1989.jpg

Quote:
Nice wide golden bird Matte. Today one of the parts of the Lecture was Doug's mentor Jack Patterson talking about how to judge birds. One breed he did as an example was Buff Orps. There was 4 Buff pullets. 3 were from Doug's line. One a hatchery, and Jack told us how he judges. He said the head is the first trait he looks at then the size width and depth. Then the color. Looks like you have several of those traits in place with yours. Keep up the great work.

Last edited:
Matt they are looking good, they should be good producers for you to boot once they get going..lil Piggy's i bet around the feeders
love.gif

We still crave the golden birdys here as always.. if we had to choose one color of orp to have on the farm, it would have be the buffs..
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Thanks lildinkem, but my great work has consisted of hatch eggs, feed, and water. When you start with Hink buffs, it's that easy.
wink.png
I agree though, when I study the pictures of of SOP, these are the closest I've ever been.

Quote:
i talk with some breeders that you recommended
to get some juvenile birds or adult birds that
way to have a better success than with eggs
and its a better idea how you said to buy birds
versus buying eggs thanks bill

Back
Top Bottom