Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

We use a Form of the above gamebird mix that was origionally ordered by an APA judge at a local mill.he had it mixed for him..it was also popular with turkey growers ..on TSC feed a lot of turkey breeders said thier baby turkeys were dying , so they switched to this and a version of baby feed..they thrived after that.. ..it actually has some greens in it as well..the chickens do great on it..it is very similar to the above recipie.

I wouldn't say roo yet. If you compare it to the other chick- girls tend to feather in faster. They are also sometimes a darker blue- in that blue roosters are light on the bottom with less defined lacing, and girls are more of an even color all over.

I never get those baby crowers! Not that I need any more roos, but I think it'd be cute.

Thanks for that info,I hope it is a girl

You are money ahead to design your own mix over a bagged supplement. The watse alone costs you more than giving your birds a supplement that they gobble down with no waste by virtue of making it tasty for them. Gamebird ration or any high dollar feed gets wasted just like the cheaper stuff especially if you free feed. Rodents and birds eat it too.. IMO

A couple of 5 month oles.
This is a wide Buff cockerel is the only one I had this past year who I may keep. Hate his wing carriage. Pic is a bit blurry. Sorry about that.

This is another who I will grow out just to see how big he gets. Too lite an eye. Also hate his wingset.

You are money ahead to design your own mix over a bagged supplement. The watse alone costs you more than giving your birds a supplement that they gobble down with no waste by virtue of making it tasty for them. Gamebird ration or any high dollar feed gets wasted just like the cheaper stuff especially if you free feed. Rodents and birds eat it too.. IMO

chickened, Then just feed yours corn and oyster shell..cheap diet with poor egg production..
also you can give water supplement, hopefully they wont splash it all out though..

I'm glad ours clean up there Lil bit of spilled feed, we keep our feeders up on Hollywood blocks less wasting that way. i think i have more trouble with chicks in brooders wasting feed, but then you just don't keep filling up there Lil feeders until its cleaned up..

guess not all chickens are well mannered.. IMO
cool.png

Aveca that's sounds like a good mix esp if there's greens in it..

Last edited:
Hey Bill- can you give me an idea what to do with this guy so I can still use him? His back is so flat- we call him Low Rider. He's got such great temperment. I just wonder if I could use him as a "balancer" for something, but I don't know what. He's 7 or 8 months now.Thanks in advance.

Some of my project birds look better at being an Orp then my real deal Orps.
My Brown Red Harold is full of him self. He is just starting to get color in his wings.

I may use HAROLD with these 2 Speckled Sussex/Buff Orp mix pullets.

Maybe get some solid reds?

Another on the list of Projects this season is seeing what comes out of my Dun Birchen Cockerel.
He is awaiting his new honey. Another Dun based pullet. Plus he will have at this Black pullet. All these birds are young. 7 month olds or abouts.

My Blue cockerel showing the bad affects of the sun on his feathers. Also a young 7 to 8 month old. In with him just for know is one of my Silver Duckwing pullets..

Last but not least is my best Buff Sport cock. He is 13 months old.

Back
Top Bottom