Post Pics Of Orps/ Orpingtons HERE

Just curious, why does fluff matter so much?

Alan said that for me to not judge his line by the current Buffs he has. He at one time gave all his best birds to Bill, and then when he started to get back into Buffs he was working with his culls. That MAYBE why we see Bill winning at the few shows out east he enters. I know Paul Montieth judged Bill's Buffs last year and said their about the best he has seen.

Quote:

Quote:
goodpost.gif
thumbsup.gif

Thanks for the kind words Jim. ( I didn't pay him to post that). lol

I will look for more pics. I had buff and black. The blacks were from Cecil Moore. I got these birds in the early 80's and back then there were some very good Orps around. With the exception of Bob Colters birds, non had excessive fluff. Colters birds had a lot of other good things about them though.

Walt

here is one for you...the show i was at, there was a pair of buffs there, they were very big deep birds..at a glance i thought theres your english champion, or LF...later on i asked why they didnt do so well..my freind said....lynne, read the card then look...the card read .."toe placement" it ws something that didnt jump out at you ........you had to look for it..the rear toe was facing forward like a human hand not more to the rear like supposed to be..one more thing learned along the way..she called them monkey hands....it supposedly crops up in some lines..

here is one for you...the show i was at, there was a pair of buffs there, they were very big deep birds..at a glance i thought theres your english champion, or LF...later on i asked why they didnt do so well..my freind said....lynne, read the card then look...the card read .."toe placement" it ws something that didnt jump out at you ........you had to look for it..the rear toe was facing forward like a human hand not more to the rear like supposed to be..one more thing learned along the way..she called them monkey hands....it supposedly crops up in some lines..

It is called "duck foot" by the ABA/APA and it is a DQ...never heard the phrase monkey hand before, but that aptly describes it too. It is always a shame to see a nice bird that has a DQ the owner has not caught before showing the bird. Duck foot would be hard to see in some of the British Orps. It is not as easy to see when the judge has the bird in hand...... it is easier to notice while the bird is standing. It is the first place I look before taking the bird out of the cage....well second as I always like to see how a bird stands before being handled. Sometimes it takes a bird a while to regain it's composure after being removed from the cage and gone over by a judge so it is good to know how it stands before being upset. Serious show people coop train their birds so that most things do not alter their behavior. You will not do well if you have a great bird that wants to hang upside down from the roof of the coop. The calmer they are (depending on the breed....you don't want it falling asleep) the better you will do.

Walt

Back
Top Bottom