Post pics of stock from Ideal Poultry please !!

Pics
Quote:
Hi chickenlover54

I think you may have misunderstood Teri, I may be wrong but I don't think they have been breeding the same breeding flock for the last 20 years.

The reason why they don't post pics of there real birds is because nobody would buy from them then.

IDEAL is the largest supplier of backyard poultry in the United States, shipping close to 5 million chicks annually.
smile.png

she said that in the 90's they had quality birds but when a place like that produces millions of chicks there is a term I have for that= INBREEDING!!!!!!

What Teri said was, When we added many new breeds back in the late 90's we purchased 'show' stock from many breeders of each breed and took the best birds that showed the best traits from each and mated them.
smile.png

When they breed the same flock for 20 years and don't introduce new ones

Teri said, we do repopulate our breeders each summer.
smile.png

#1. They are such a large hatchery so they can't introduce new birds for fear of sickness, there flocks have been the same for 20 years
#2. The reason they sell millions of chicks is because they are a place to get low cost chicks that can be sexed, and again because they don't post pics of there real birds so beginners think they are getting what they see in the painting
#3. They ship 5 million chicks, do you really think they take the best and mate them anymore, they can't afford to do that. They probably did do that the first few years but I garuntee you, not anymore
#4. I have no doubt they repopulate there breeders, they repopulate them with the children of their stock from the year before
I don't want to sound rude I was just replying to your statements.​

Last edited:
Oh I'm actually very interested to see what the La Fleche will turn to look like, but as I've always said - I just hope that whoever tries preserving a rare breed like that from a hatchery makes sure they preserve the closest to APA standards.
smile.png

Quote:
OMG where do u come from that is so freaky I wanna be a mermaid too!!! oh and dont stop make it pop DJ blow my speakers up tonite imma fite till we see the sunlight tick tock onmthe clock bu the party dont stop no owa owa ohoh owa owa oh oh you build me up you brake me down my heart it pounds yer youve got me with my hands up youve got thats sound youve got that sound yer youve got me, but the party dont start till i walk in!!!

Quote:
OMG where do u come from that is so freaky I wanna be a mermaid too!!! oh and dont stop make it pop DJ blow my speakers up tonite imma fite till we see the sunlight tick tock onmthe clock bu the party dont stop no owa owa ohoh owa owa oh oh you build me up you brake me down my heart it pounds yer youve got me with my hands up youve got thats sound youve got that sound yer youve got me, but the party dont start till i walk in!!!

OMG TWINS!!! im in beverly hills, where r u !!!

oh, AUSTRALIA !!! DO U KNOW NATALIE TRAN, SHES IN SYDNEY!!!!

Last edited:
Quote:
chickenlover, I am NOT a chicken show breeder...just have to say that first. However, I have been a cavy show breeder for many years now. I can honestly and openly say that I do INBREED. Why? because I know my line and I breed along the same bloodlines which I keep track of all in a computer program which spans over 10 generations ...sometimes 20. I do not breed brother sister breedings, but I do what is called line breeding. Father - daughter, mother - son...grand to grand. What that does is concentrate my line and since I KNOW my line I have bred out the genetic faults. It is a very popular way of breeding. Shocking to some who have never bred because in life humans do not do this. However, with a genetic base vast and with limited resources for importing new cavies, I along with many others practice this type of breeding. It isn't always a way of breeding in all species (especially like horses), but from what I have read from chicken breeders, it is also common in the chicken species. So that being said, Ideal's practice really isn't offensive as you claim with breeding from offspring from their previous years stock. And from the sounds of Teri's post she says they have many strains of each breed. There are many benefits to a closed herd/flock.

In the past I have imported expensive cavy stock from out of state. It is a gamble really. Half of what I did import I scrapped...sold off to pet homes within a year because it caused genetic faults and coat faults in my offspring when crossed with my foundation stock. It was a mess and a very expensive one at that. Then there are other bloodlines I have brought in that have been much easier to cross in with my foundation. I do have some coat faults now and again, but like my original foundation stock I will work to breed that out. And I still to this day have foundation stock I will never introduce another bloodline to. I would simply spoil that line all together.

If Ideal had claims of breeding for show and producing show stock, then their chicks didn't hold up to par (mind you I have some of those expensive breeders birds also that are crappier than Ideal's stock) then they would not have the customer base they do. And in all honesty, the majority of people who purchase chickens want them for pets and livestock....not show. Just like I find in the cavy world, us show breeders are few compared to the amount of pet owners and lovers out there.

Quote:
chickenlover, I am NOT a chicken show breeder...just have to say that first. However, I have been a cavy show breeder for many years now. I can honestly and openly say that I do INBREED. Why? because I know my line and I breed along the same bloodlines which I keep track of all in a computer program which spans over 10 generations ...sometimes 20. I do not breed brother sister breedings, but I do what is called line breeding. Father - daughter, mother - son...grand to grand. What that does is concentrate my line and since I KNOW my line I have bred out the genetic faults. It is a very popular way of breeding. Shocking to some who have never bred because in life humans do not do this. However, with a genetic base vast and with limited resources for importing new cavies, I along with many others practice this type of breeding. It isn't always a way of breeding in all species (especially like horses), but from what I have read from chicken breeders, it is also common in the chicken species. So that being said, Ideal's practice really isn't offensive as you claim with breeding from offspring from their previous years stock. And from the sounds of Teri's post she says they have many strains of each breed. There are many benefits to a closed herd/flock.

In the past I have imported expensive cavy stock from out of state. It is a gamble really. Half of what I did import I scrapped...sold off to pet homes within a year because it caused genetic faults and coat faults in my offspring when crossed with my foundation stock. It was a mess and a very expensive one at that. Then there are other bloodlines I have brought in that have been much easier to cross in with my foundation. I do have some coat faults now and again, but like my original foundation stock I will work to breed that out. And I still to this day have foundation stock I will never introduce another bloodline to. I would simply spoil that line all together.

If Ideal had claims of breeding for show and producing show stock, then their chicks didn't hold up to par (mind you I have some of those expensive breeders birds also that are crappier than Ideal's stock) then they would not have the customer base they do. And in all honesty, the majority of people who purchase chickens want them for pets and livestock....not show. Just like I find in the cavy world, us show breeders are few compared to the amount of pet owners and lovers out there.

I realize this as I also line breed my OE and Moderns but I just don't agree with how Ideal and other hatcheries advertise what people think they are getting, but when they mass produce millions of chicks and for 20 years have brothers breeding sisters, there is no way to keep quality stock.

Quote:

OMG TWINS!!! im in beverly hills, where r u !!!

oh, AUSTRALIA !!! DO U KNOW NATALIE TRAN, SHES IN SYDNEY!!!!

haha yes i no!!! twins!! woah that is sooo freaky no i live about 1 hour away from Melbourne. Do you live with all the rich people?? Haha

Back
Top Bottom