Post Pics Of Your Chicken With Worst Molt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ugh, one of my girls looks like a creepy Halloween chicken--she has skeleton-looking pinfeathers sticking out all over, with maybe seven real feathers, max.
I took a picture last week but deleted it--it looked like chicken abuse!
roll.png

I think I will start a business making 'modesty sweaters' for our girls at, ahem, that time of the year...
wink.png

My girls are molting too. They look so pathetic! But seeing we have so many feathers around, does anyone know of a way to make down pillows out of all the feathers falling off the chickens? My mom said that my grandmother used to do it and used to lay the feathers out in the attic. We can only assume that was to dry them somehow or sterilize them. But we aren't sure. Any suggestions??

Thanks to all of you been-there, done-that folks and the brave ladies who allow their pictures to be taken in such a delicate state. I am a new mom and know that if my birds started to look like some of these photos I would wonder what the heck was going on -- now I'll know it's just normal chicken stuff.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I have one poor pathetic 7 month-old who is molting. I didn't think they were supposed to do that until their second year, since those feather were practically brand-new! But she also went broody at 4 mos., so I figured she is hormonally challenged. Now that the broodiness is gone and the molt is almost over, she seems to be acting nearly normal, thank goodness.
frow.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom