Post pics of your chicks thread!!!

This is Lucky. She was a special hatch. I am new to incubating eggs. I usually just let my bantam hens hatch them. Lucky was hatching skinny side out. I thought chicks know how to hatch. She was in the shell for 36 hours. I realized that she was running out of energy, so I got on BYC to see if there was any information about difficulty hatching. There was tons of information. Most said to just let the chick try and if it does not survive, than it is nature's way. I could not do that. I hatched this egg and used warm water to slowly and softly remove the membranes that had stuck to her downy. I put her back in the incubator for another 14 hours. She had fluffed as much as she could, so I stuck her in the brooder with her siblings. She was a fighter and now is one of the sweetest black orpingtons I have. She has good fluff and nice straight legs. My daughter is hoping she will mature into a nice show chicken. Even if she doesn't, I'm glad I helped nature along.

This is Lucky. She was a special hatch. I am new to incubating eggs. I usually just let my bantam hens hatch them. Lucky was hatching skinny side out. I thought chicks know how to hatch. She was in the shell for 36 hours. I realized that she was running out of energy, so I got on BYC to see if there was any information about difficulty hatching. There was tons of information. Most said to just let the chick try and if it does not survive, than it is nature's way. I could not do that. I hatched this egg and used warm water to slowly and softly remove the membranes that had stuck to her downy. I put her back in the incubator for another 14 hours. She had fluffed as much as she could, so I stuck her in the brooder with her siblings. She was a fighter and now is one of the sweetest black orpingtons I have. She has good fluff and nice straight legs. My daughter is hoping she will mature into a nice show chicken. Even if she doesn't, I'm glad I helped nature along.
Wow!!!!!!!! Lucky looks just like my chicken peggysue!!!!!

I had the same thing happen last summer with one of my hens! Our broody hen hatched a whole clutch of chickens, and she didn't want to sit on the rest of the eggs anymore. When she decided to stop laying on the eggs, one of the eggs already had a hole pecked through it. Because I couldn't get the hen to sit on the egg to keep it warm, the chick ended up almost dying. My mom and I had no choice but to carefully remove her from the shell and hope for the best. We kept her in warm towels from the dryer for about 6 hours before she was dry enough to go out with the other chicks. She is now 10 months old and one of the sweetest and most curious hens I have. Her legs and toes are straight, and she is absolutely healthy. She took longer to grow than her siblings, but she caught up after the first few months. We named her Chicken Little because she was a runt :D

Back
Top Bottom