Post pics of your chicks thread!!!

Here are photos of my 5 new little hatchlings...1 day old....hatched this weekend under 2 broody moms (a Welsummer/RIR mix and a Silkie)....and honestly about the cutest chicks I've hatched to date. I got the fertile eggs at the feed store who said the seller told the store they were "pure breeds" ....but I'm thinking the chipmunks are mixes and at a loss as to what breed(s) those could be as the egg shell colors were wrong for Welsummer or Brown Leghorn. I love the names and the way the eggs were marked congrats I only have 7days until my hatch and from the looks of it it looks like I have a 100% hatch Anyone have guesses or ideas? The eggs we set...uhm I told my daughter to mark them (thinking X for fertile)...and she "marked" them alright...and yup...we named the chick from the Comic Book character set on the egg it hatched from. Batman, Spiderman, Leonardo (blue shell), Ms. Marvel, and the Flash hatched....5 of 15 eggs (I think eggs were older than store thought too) :D Batman (Bats) on the left...a "reverse" chipmunk... and Ms. Marvel on the right (a proper looking chipmunk from a light tan egg). Ms. Marvel again (what a cute little face). Below now, Spidy on the left (a little darker chipmunk than Ms. Marvel) and Ms. Marvel on the right (below) Close up of "Bats" and her/his mask. Smaller chick than Spidy and Ms. Marvel, but I don't think Banty (came from large egg). The Flash on the left I'm pretty sure is a Barred Rock (humorously was first chick to hatch and hatched on day 20
cool.png
) and the little Banty yellow chick on the right came from a Banty size blue egg...and is Leonarda (from Mutant Ninja Turtles). She has black lines on her back that don't show here. (Can't get her to hold still to see her back stripes).

Last edited:
That's great scriptkiddieJR!

Here's my 8 week old white rock roo after his swim in the pond! My dog spooked him when the bird was ranging in the long grass. Poor thing flew up and into the pond, about 6 ft from the bank. He did a great job of swimming! Holding his wings out next to him & kicking his feet. Wish I had a picture of that!

That's great scriptkiddieJR!

Here's my 8 week old white rock roo after his swim in the pond! My dog spooked him when the bird was ranging in the long grass. Poor thing flew up and into the pond, about 6 ft from the bank. He did a great job of swimming! Holding his wings out next to him & kicking his feet. Wish I had a picture of that!
I would've loved to have seen that. lol

Seeing all these babies makes me want to enlarge my little flock!
Uh oh! Here comes chicken math! LOL! I started with 6 & grew from there. I've got 23 eggs in bator now. 28 - 8 week olds, 5 - 11 week olds, 2 - 1 year olds & 1 - 3 year old. That's 59 if all eggs hatch. Every year gets bigger & bigger. Next year I'm concentrating on simplifying. One meat breed and a few layers, that's it! After 3 years, I've figured out what I really want. Now let's see if I can stay on target.

YAAAAAAAAAAAAY
wee.gif

I originally had my chicks in 2 large-ish cardboard boxes joined together. Tonight I moved them out of that and into our ferrets outdoor playpen (all cleaned up), soon as I put them in there were all flapping and hopping about, running - it was hilarious!!

It seems there is always one that just stands in their food! (excuse the food/water dishes, we over spent a little on our NY trip so by the time I got the chicks/food/etc I'd blown the budget so i ended up getting some new solid ashtrays from family dollar, seems to do the trick!)

I just LOVE that look!!! hahahaha

Starting to look all pretty!

Back
Top Bottom