Post Pics of your Leghorns

Pics
Hi Bob,Do you know anything more about Lenard Smiths strain? I recall he had them a long time,as far BACK as I can recall (when I was a kid in school ).I think he passed away??? Ken Cook had White Leghorn bantam too and I read something about him recent.Perhaps you can fill us in more on the breeders out west.

In regard to your White bantams,they have that nice sweep of back and spread tails.I like some length of leg and they are not too bad.I like the smaller combs but some might want bigger ones. They appear to be the right size and nice wings .( So many are low winged,carried down instead of level,others the wings are too long and carried way past the body).Looks like you are doing alright with these,keep them going.

The history of Leonard Smiths White Leghorns is mostly in my memory, but I will try to tell you what I remember going back almost 50 years ago. Leonard was from Oregon and showed at the shows in Oregon and Washington that I attended. He was also I think a judge however, I do not remember him judging any shows that I attended like another mentor of mine C.M. Lewis who was a Large Fowl light Brown Leghorn Breeder.

Leonard Smith blood lines where very old but I did not know his origin however last year I got a phone call from a fellow who lives in New Mexico who told me his grandfather sold Leonard Smith his bantams many years go after the war. I guess it was World War II as his grandfather when discharged from the military stopped in the New England area and got some White Leghorn Bantams and had these bantams shipped to his home in New Mexico. My guess his grandfather stopped at Arthur Schillings home on his way back home after he was discharged from the military. I cannot remember the name of this fellow but he should be calling me again soon as he wants some of my Rhode Island Red bantams this spring and I will get the name of his grandfather to finish this story.

If this is the way Leonard got his start from this man in New Mexico and breeds them all the way up to my time of the 1960s and I am sure 1970s. He was always winning with this stain and having his l Leghorns on Champion row in the bantam section. H. V. Ken Cooke also from Oregon had Lenords’s leghorn bantams and breed them up to at least ten years ago. Another fellow who was the best master breeder from the state of Idaho was a fellow named Al Eruqurea (miss spelled) , but Al showed and breed Lenard’s bantams for many years.

About ten years ago a judge from El Dorado Arkansas J. B Harrell judged a show in California and choose Al’s white Leghorn Female for Champion leghorn bantam of the show and fell in love with Als White Wyandotte Large fowl and put a order in for a trio. A friend of mine from Arkansas and personnel friend of Mr. Harrell said see if he will also send you a trio of white Leghorn Bantams I will take them and pay for the birds and freight. The deal was set and both trios where shipped to Mr. Harrell and my friend was in the White Leghorn Business. One of the faults in this strain was it was a female line and the top lines on the males where not to my friends desire. However, up to about four years ago my friend started to get the top lines that he wanted and has been much happier with his strain.

One interesting trait with this old line is the young birds have a parrot type beak that Leonard’s birds where famous for. Many old time judges can see these traits when judging or looking at this old line which goes back to what they saw years ago when Leonard showed these little white birds.
Leonard Smith is no longer alive and Al is no longer breeding chickens he is I think a retired Florists in Idaho.
I hope this helps unveil the history of Leonard Smiths White Leghorn bantams.

Last edited:
black.jpg

I wanted to show this picture to Dan. I got some pictures from Indiana and I will post their web site for you but of all the pictures taken this male caught my eye. I love his top line and tail and if you look at the black and white picture in the standard of Perfection you will notice how ture this male is to the picture Art Schilling painted for that book in the 1950s. I can not tell if he has a rounded breast because of the Copy right C and the drink cut but what a pretty male. He was not filled out for this show and will be on target for a show like the Ohio National. I was writing Dan a email about a old Leghorn breeder I knew as a kid manded Cyrus C.M. Lewis of Oregon and this lady who breed and showed this male bird calls me up on the phone. She wants to join the Rock Club as she is showing at the Ill Mo show this weekend. She is also the owner and breeder of the White Rock Large Fowl that was Champion American at the Indiana show two weeks ago. She told me best of breed Minorica was a pullet a sister of this male bird. I know he is not a Leghorn but boy what a pretty bird for fans of the Med. Class. This is a Adrian Radamaker from Minn. blood line. bob

http://gallery.me.com/providence101#100459

Last edited:
Quote:
Here is a recent pic of a few of my red girls, they cooperated nice and stood still for a pic
smile.png
I think they look quite lovely

50755_reds2.jpg

So I just found out that my Willow is not a Welsummer as originally thought, but a Brown Leghorn! She just laid her first egg today - a beautiful, perfect small white egg.

I am actually glad to find out about this thread because her single comb has started flopping over and I was getting worried that she might be sick! Now I realize, she's just got a normal Leghorn comb. She's a beautiful bird - and not as shy/skittish as Stella, my Sicilian Buttercup, but not as friendly as Buffy (my Buff Orp).

So anyone wanna tell me more about Leghorns? I'm hoping she'll be a good egg producer. Leghorns are straight layers though right? Not dual-purpose? I read that Brown Leghorns have been around since before 1901. Does that make them a heritage breed? How can I tell if I have a "light-brown" or "dark brown" leghorn? (Anyone have a good pic of both so I can compare?)

Here's pic of Willow - it's an older pic - with Stella. I'll get better ones tomorrow.

IMAG0404.jpg

She is a Light Brown Leghorn having the duckwing color and being a female has the salmon breast .She has good Leghorn type (shape). Leghorns have been in the US for 160 years or more,so are old and a hereitage breed.They are good layers and not a dual purpose breed.

Back
Top Bottom