Post Pics of Your Marans!

My little French BCM Nico :)
D4E3DEE7-0DE8-4A6E-9F77-6AC3C7F2657F.jpeg
6485DCD3-195E-4C95-B295-9FE300C344D4.png

So I found someone with some FBCM and bought some chicks. out of 11 chicks only 3 pullets. They are now about 9 weeks old. so here are a few pictures of them at 4 wks and 8-9 weeks. It is funny how they have those white down/feathers at hatch and pretty much all gone by 8 weeks old.
100_5670.JPG
Marans pullets 4 + weeks.jpg
100_5803.JPG
Blkcoppermaranscockerels8wksresized.jpg
Maranscockerelresized8 wks.jpg

Attachments

• 100_5672.JPG
    100_5672.JPG
    450.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_5803.JPG
    100_5803.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 100_5803.JPG
    100_5803.JPG
    382.1 KB · Views: 1
Thank you! Either I misspelled it, or autocorrect did, lol. Birchen Marans are supposed to lay very dark eggs. This is what they look like:
View attachment 1514589

Well, they are very pretty birds. I hope they lay nice dark eggs for you. Having chickens is a constant learning game. so what happens if you breed black/copper with birchen Marans? or do most keep the colors bred with the same colors to keep those colors? :) I only have handful of black/copper which I am raising. so no eggs yet. The cuckoo marans I have seen don't seem to lay dark brown eggs. and they remind me of barred rocks, so I just like to keep my barred rocks. no interest in the cuckoo's. I think I like the birchens though. I haven't seen any of those in person. I am hoping I will have a few black/copper eggs to hatch next spring for myself. and a nice rooster to use on the Easter eggers. Best to you.

Well, they are very pretty birds. I hope they lay nice dark eggs for you. Having chickens is a constant learning game. so what happens if you breed black/copper with birchen Marans? or do most keep the colors bred with the same colors to keep those colors? :) I only have handful of black/copper which I am raising. so no eggs yet. The cuckoo marans I have seen don't seem to lay dark brown eggs. and they remind me of barred rocks, so I just like to keep my barred rocks. no interest in the cuckoo's. I think I like the birchens though. I haven't seen any of those in person. I am hoping I will have a few black/copper eggs to hatch next spring for myself. and a nice rooster to use on the Easter eggers. Best to you.
Thanks, good luck to you, too. I don't know a lot about egg color genetics. I think that a BCM/BM cross would result in an egg color at least as dark or darker than the BM, and possibly as dark as the BCM color, but probably not. Birchen eggs:
PSX_20180824_212333.jpg

Back
Top Bottom