Post Pictures of your Duck Houses

Nice coop Showme.

A grape box is the wooden boxes that grapes come in to your local produce department. Some are cardboard now. You can make all kinds of nesting arrangements by visiting your local produce department. many kinds of veggies and fruit still come in wooden boxes of all styles.

I put to use any materials that are free as part of my focus. recycle, reuse is a large part of the sustainability eveyone talks about.

They used to call it "Vernacular Architecture", where you make your living environment from usung what is at hand.

Very nice duck house. Thanks for the picture. I am going with 3 ducks. I am thinking about building a tractor style house. That way, I can move it around the yard / field. When I am at home, I will be allowing them to free range along with the chickens.

So i found someone selling a nice homemade dog house with shingled roof. It is 36" wide, 48" hight and 48" long. You think that would work for three ducks? I am thinking I will attach a run to it and turn it into a tractor. When we are home, they will be allowed to free frange our fields with the horses, chickens, etc.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I would think that would be a nice enough house. Just make sure the run is secure enough that preds can't get into it or attach a good door to the house.

I have a run attached to mine because when they are up by the house they can't be out free. You gotta love neighbors that allow their dogs to roam. In the summer when they are at the pond they pretty much stay there so I feel safe enough for them to be free.

If they happen to spend a couple days in the pen they will quickly muck it up so portability is a great thing.

I guarantee you'll quickly fall in love with ducks. The entertainment factor is well worth the muck they leave behind.

Smiles
Jul

I have 3 pekin ducks that are 3 weeks old (what a handful!) and I'm thinking of moving them into the doghouse I used to have my banties in. It's the plastic, medium-sized type. I think I'm just going to build a simple, circular pen, put some netting across the top, and the doghouse & rubbermaid fake pond inside. Sound okay?

Had to share! I'm new to BYC. We just finished our first duck house using almost nothing but scrap woods and random things around the poll barn...

My duck house is a combo chicken coop and duck coop. Its a little bigger than you need for housing 3 ducks, but the shed was there so I converted it to a coop. I have a 6x12 area for the chickens and mallards, and a 5x6 area for the Pekins. Both open up to the covered run.

Back
Top Bottom