Post predator attack vent gleet???

nina1993

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 18, 2017
So to save a little time I am just going to copy and paste my update comment from a previous thread to gain some insight on this specific issue. I apologize in advance if it leads to any confusion.

UPDATE : So the rest of the flock has returned from hiding…I’m still curious where they were because I seriously looked absolutely everywhere for nearly the entire day!! Anyways, it appears that one of my australorps is missing a few back feathers but otherwise seems to be alright, my rooser is a freaking tank because although he looks pretty ragged with all of his missing feathers, he seems to also be alright…and he was actually completely in the dogs mouth!! Every one else seems unharmed but I have one red hen that looks to have vent gleet. I had not noticed even slight signs of any vent issues prior to this, and am curious if this is an infected vent that just coincidentally started to show itself after the attack or if her pasty butt could be the results of an injury. I have not gotten a chance to pick her up and fully asses to see if she has a prolapsed vent or anything else going on. They literally just strolled back into the yard within the last 5 minutes. I gave them all some food and meal worms and came to grab my phone… I did notice that she is very standoffish and skiddish right now. As I said previously they don’t know me very well so they always run away to a degree but not like this. She was hesitant to even come up to the food I had put down for them. I imagine it is because she is scared after everything that happened but I’m really concerned with her vent issue and not sure where to start with that. With them not being very familiar with me it of course makes even catching them difficult, let alone giving any kind of examination or treatment and I don’t want to stress them out any more than they already are. I would also like to add that my two australorp hens have always had very small amounts of white on the tips of their butt feathers but I always just assumed their butts were so fluffy that they were a little bit of messy poppers lol should this be something to be concerned with also? Their feathers are definitely not weighed down or anything, just slightly white and they have still been laying just fine. They have been like this since I have had them so I really didn’t think much of it but this whole thing is a huge learning experience for me. I try to do as much research as I can to stay proactive and knowledgeable on all things poultry related but as I’m sure you all know, there is A LOT of information to learn and know!!

The hen with the broken leg seems to be doing ok…she has been eating and drinking and seems fairly content. She is resting and I haven’t seen her getting frantic or anything. She isn’t moving much but I didn’t expect her to. When I checked in her and she wasn’t sleeping her eyes were open wide and she seemed alert which I feel is a good thing. I’m not really sure of what to look for. I am also unsure of how to proceed with her leg because with there being two injuries (the cut and the break) I don’t know if I am supposed to unsplint her leg twice a day to apply neosporin as recommended or if I should just leave it wrapped and hope that everything covering it will keep it clean? I also haven’t heard any responses on the vent issue of the other hen so I’m unsure of how to handle that situation as well… other than that, everyone seems good..a bit on edge and shaken up but otherwise good. Thank you for asking

Back
Top Bottom