Post prolapse behavior

ironman2524

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 8, 2011
So my Amerucana had some prolapse 2 days ago. It went back in pretty quickly on it's own, but I put her in the garage in a large crate and have been giving her antibiotics and white bread. It has not come out again, but I would like to not have her lay again since she's a fussy layer anyway. Yesterday she didn't want to stand up all the way and she still seems uncomfortable. I gave her some white bread to eat (which she usually loves), and although she has eaten some, she is laying on it like she's broody. Is this normal? Or is she as weird as I think she is?

So my Amerucana had some prolapse 2 days ago. It went back in pretty quickly on it's own, but I put her in the garage in a large crate and have been giving her antibiotics and white bread. It has not come out again, but I would like to not have her lay again since she's a fussy layer anyway. Yesterday she didn't want to stand up all the way and she still seems uncomfortable. I gave her some white bread to eat (which she usually loves), and although she has eaten some, she is laying on it like she's broody. Is this normal? Or is she as weird as I think she is?
Hi ironman,
welcome to the forum. I don't think that eventhough the hen may love it white bread is very good nutritionally for the hen IMO. Seems like it would be the equivalent of feeding a child candy only. Switch out to some chicken feed, and lots of fresh water. In the garage (in a cage?) make sure she has grit and oyster shell for her nutritional needs....until you are sure she is broody..then maybe no need for added calcium because she won't be forming shells.

Maybe she is broody and that is the closest thing she has around that resembles an egg. If she were to be broody, then her egglaying would stop for awhile. Maybe you should encourage broodiness by getting some fake eggs, golfballs, or even fertile eggs for her. Not eating is another sign of broodiness (or eating significantly less)

Hope that some other forum members will chime in.

Last edited:
I would hesitate to assume she is broody. She could be and if she is, fine, but if she's not, you may miss something that you need to address. Is her comb fading to pink? How is her poo? Is she confined to a box so that she can't help but sit on her bread? I would make sure she in in an area with just enough room for her to have a nest, an open space to walk in, and an area for food and water. I use a 2'x4' brooder for sick birds. I put a cardboard box in one end (three and a half sides, bottom, no top) with bedding. Food and water in the other. That way I know if she is eating on her own, spending time moving around or just staying in the box. Try a bit of feed moistened with water and maybe a bit of bread. She really needs the nutrition to get stronger. I like to give mine some meat of some type, tuna, roast, or even chicken. You may also try some boiled or scrambled egg.

She's in a large dog crate and has room to move around and a low roost too (4X3 1/2 feet). After researching tons of prolapse threads almost all of them said not to feed them layer, to feed them wheat based products, a few said some fruit works too. I gather that you do not want the chicken to lay an egg again so the prolapse is less likely to happen again. Most of them also said to put them somewhere darker and cooler to start the molt and stop them from laying. She is pooping, and has never been brrody before. And normally she is a total pig. The first one in the coop to eat a treat. I'm going to give her some watermelon this am, and maybe let her graze in the lawn later if she seems better. Maybe a walk in the fresh air will help.

Dark and cool would be great, if you are able to do that . I usually give sick birds chick starter but that's just me. A bit of tuna, egg, or yogurt helps make it easier to pick up and more tempting. I am not an expert on prolapse, but have nursed many sick and injured birds back to health.

Good Luck and BTW
welcome-byc.gif

Back
Top Bottom