Post surgery bird, panting and open mouth.

Lyrebirb

In the Brooder
Apr 28, 2023
I had a bird very ehhh bound this morning. Took her to a vet, they extracted the egg. In the process she became inflamed and swollen. She kept trying to lay the egg that was gone so they gave 1 stitch to prevent another prolapse. She can still poop. She was given some Pain relief or antininflamitory shot.

She's closed eyes, looks like she's still trying to lay, loafed, pale comb. She does. Vet said to get her to drink 1 to 1 water and Gatorade. And isolate and watch her. On Friday she gets the suture out.

I'm the mean time I'm scared she'll die before then. Her vent picture is attached. Idk if I did it right.

Attachments

• 20230503_153004.jpg
    20230503_153004.jpg
    339.2 KB · Views: 14
Did the vet give her something to prevent laying? An implant?
Her body doesn't know that she isn't supposed to lay again until her sutures come out.
Does she have vent gleet? It looks like she is "oozing" in the last photo. I'm not sure Gatorade would be a good idea if she has gleet. Gatorade is loaded with simple sugars.
I would just drop water onto the outside of her beak. Trying to syringe her, will likely stress her out more. Stress makes pain worse in people, so I'm sure it does the same for birds.
The vet I saw today said nothing except the eggbind seemed to be wrong. And the Gatorade was their advice. I'm dropping 0.05 to 0.1ml at a time on the beak.

I don't she's trying to lay two eggs at once. And that the vet missed the second egg.

I'm sorry for the gross picture.

I forgot to ask how do I manually water my bird? I know the lung hole is behind the tongue. But I'm worried she won't drink on her own. And I need to know how to use a medicine syringe to fix her.

Edit 25 minutes later: she's just loafing either dying or trying to sleep. I managed to make her lick some Gatorade water from a syringe. She's wrapped up here. And my phone is losing battery.

Attachments

• 20230503_173432.jpg
    20230503_173432.jpg
    388.6 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Update: she just scared me going open mouth. I got this picture. Looks like her vent went back inside with the suture. I've still only manually fed her water. Only a tiny tiny amount. She's very sleepy still.

I'm also still freaking the f out.

Attachments

• 20230503_192749.jpg
    20230503_192749.jpg
    477.9 KB · Views: 4
Did the vet give her something to prevent laying? An implant?
Her body doesn't know that she isn't supposed to lay again until her sutures come out.
Does she have vent gleet? It looks like she is "oozing" in the last photo. I'm not sure Gatorade would be a good idea if she has gleet. Gatorade is loaded with simple sugars.
I would just drop water onto the outside of her beak. Trying to syringe her, will likely stress her out more. Stress makes pain worse in people, so I'm sure it does the same for birds.

I forgot to say, welcome to BYC. I'm sorry for the circumstances that made you join. Good luck with your hen.

Back
Top Bottom