post your chicken coop pictures here!

Now, I am no carpenter so some things didn't go as planned and I had to improvise. For example I need to cut out some plywood covers to go over the 4x4's as I built two walls into the 4x4's and two on the 4x4's...Well, I have never built anything before. As such I just used what information I could about building houses. Studs at 16 inches, the pitch etc. Also I know that the door looks slanted but I checked like 30 times and it isn't. I guess it is because of the slant that it looks that way. Anyway, I still need to build the roof for the run and enforce it. I also need to add windows and a roost. Obviously some paint too. I will have to add more photos when I finish and get the chicks out there this weekend. They sure are ready at 6 weeks I can't stand the stink in my garage anymore! It is 8x8x4 and the run is 8x8x4 under the coop with an addition of 8x8x8. Ventilation is built into the eves all around, which I hope will suffice. It seems to have done well that way for my parents over the past two years on their coop. On a final note, as you can tell I am no photographer either.
Looks nice.

Now, I am no carpenter so some things didn't go as planned and I had to improvise. For example I need to cut out some plywood covers to go over the 4x4's as I built two walls into the 4x4's and two on the 4x4's...Well, I have never built anything before. As such I just used what information I could about building houses. Studs at 16 inches, the pitch etc. Also I know that the door looks slanted but I checked like 30 times and it isn't. I guess it is because of the slant that it looks that way.

Anyway, I still need to build the roof for the run and enforce it. I also need to add windows and a roost. Obviously some paint too. I will have to add more photos when I finish and get the chicks out there this weekend. They sure are ready at 6 weeks I can't stand the stink in my garage anymore!

It is 8x8x4 and the run is 8x8x4 under the coop with an addition of 8x8x8. Ventilation is built into the eves all around, which I hope will suffice. It seems to have done well that way for my parents over the past two years on their coop.

On a final note, as you can tell I am no photographer either.

You did it the right way. Get the chicks, start the coop, figure out that chicks grow WAY faster than coops get built
wink.png

Quote:
I have 2 they are 4' x 8' and 3/4" thick my local Wilco farm store sells them that size they also have 4' x 6' x 3/4". https://www.farmstore.com/product-category/livestock-farm/stall-products/

Ooh nice Love the standard 4 x 8 foot print.... not a bad price either.... serious envy here again...

deb "off to see if they are offered here somewhere"

I can't imagine moving those! I have enough trouble with the ones I have and I would guess they are maybe 4x6, heavy and just floppy enough to be hard to handle.

C-clamps! yeah, I could see how those could come in handy in moving stall mats. I might just have to remember that for the next time I need to adjust some stall mats.

Me too! Locking ones I think. My hand grip is not what it could be.

Here is a pic of my new "Turkey" door and my fan setup as of a few minutes ago. I found a dead chicken on the floor and assumed it was the heat (it's been in the high 90's with humidity). It isn't injured, just dead. Someone is picking on my rooster. He has a bare spot at the base of his tail, on top. I wonder it the toms might be picking on him. I haven't seen any aggression from them, they all seem to get along fine. My white turkey sat down for me when I reached for her and she let me pick her up and walk around with her, calmly.

Anyway, I put a large shop fan in the work area screen, blowing into the coop toward the "Turkey" door on medium to reduce dust but it added quite a bit of air movement. They are all walking around in circles in front of it. One of the issues with my setup is it is "necessarily" on the west facing wall of the barn where there is no shade except for the coop. By noon all the shade is gone. Unfortunately it's the only place I can put it for many reasons. If my budget allows I may add an 8x9 foot roof attached to the coop for extra shade in the run, next year. I'm still hoping to use the run as a green house for my wife's illegal Texas trees but that may not happen since it has to be heated in the winter. All my play money is long gone. I'm putting out fires (figuratively) now and will be in that mode for at least a couple of years yet.

Posting a little update to my hen house build I have been busy with work and company so I haven't gotten much done. I finished most of the rafters but I am rebuilding some completed work that I decided to do different. I will post some new pictures. The girls inspected the work and seem to approve.

Mike

That's gonna look awesome.

Well, its confirmed. I have at least 3 EE's, all green eggs. Im up to 7 eggs per day now. Still waiting for 4 or 5 more to start laying. Once they all start im going to use bands to mark them for color and production. I will have some that will be butchered (3 of the older ones have stopped laying, might be molting or too hot, not sure) to save feed (160 pounds per month). I need to kill 2 toms but it might lead to divorce :)

Back
Top Bottom