Post your Ducklings!

Super excited!! Just ordered 3 Khaki Campbells and 3 Black Swedish ducklings!!! Ship date is May 9th....which can't come fast enough!
1f60a.png

Khakis are so cute! and i should know.

do all khaki Campbell's get that cap on there head? I'm just wondering because we have 4 which are about 5 weeks old and they show no sign of it. Unfortunately, we lost one of our Campbell's last night due to drinking to much water.. :(

What a difference a (28) days make! C'mon guys, get the rest of your feathers so you can live with your parents. Their dad still hates them but maybe that will change when they get their full feathers. After this I will get 1-2 sexed female Khakis and 1 sexed female Cayuga. Then that is it. I hope that only Fuzzy is a boy, but I can't tell yet with Berry. One day she was sounding kinda quacking, but nothing since Sera started in. She sounds like a flock of guinea fowl. And goes on and on and on. I am worried about Fuzzy, he flops down immediately each time they pause in their grazing, but still follows the others immediately. Berry will lay down too, but not that often and not until s/he has decided that they are pausing for a bit.

Sera (L), Berry (C), Fuzzy (R)
nearly 4 weeks old, 15 April 2016

do all khaki Campbell's get that cap on there head? I'm just wondering because we have 4 which are about 5 weeks old and they show no sign of it. Unfortunately, we lost one of our Campbell's last night due to drinking to much water..
sad.png
No. That "cap", as you called it, is a bunch of feathers, which some ducks are hatched with. Crests in ducks are caused by an incompletetly dominant autosomal gene. Any type of duck can get it. It's not a trademark of the Campbell.

No. That "cap", as you called it, is a bunch of feathers, which some ducks are hatched with.  Crests in ducks are caused by an incompletetly dominant autosomal gene. Any type of duck can get it. It's not a trademark of the Campbell. 

Oh okay, I was going to say my ducks are growing super slow. Lol, they don't have any feathers yet or anything and they are 5 weeks. I don't know what I'm doing wrong because people that live localy have khaki Campbell's that are half way feathered at this time... Super confused about it

Two Mallards(sold as Rouen), two Cayuga (I think....?) and one khaki campbell. Just starting to get their adolescent feathers in. Poor little ducky awkward Teen phase
1f602.png

Two Mallards(sold as Rouen), two Cayuga (I think....?) and one khaki campbell. Just starting to get their adolescent feathers in. Poor little ducky awkward Teen phase
1f602.png

Looks very Cayuga, Rouen kinda look like Mallard to me anyway. What do the chicks think of that crowd?

Today I had my guys in the big yard. Their was the banty hen, their mother (dad was locked up in their night pen) and the three ducklings. I learned right away who was the top of the pecking order (yes, pecking) The little hen has the drop on a Khaki hen twice her size, and of course the Khaki hen intimidates the babies like nobody's business. Mom duck picking on the babies some is just general establishment of a billing order, far different than what dad would do with them if allowed. He is calming down about them quite a bit, I hope he will get a clue and stop altogether.

These are the ducklings we got for easter!

Along with the chicks we also got. Complete sweet bills. Mallard and Orpington.

No. That "cap", as you called it, is a bunch of feathers, which some ducks are hatched with. Crests in ducks are caused by an incompletetly dominant autosomal gene. Any type of duck can get it. It's not a trademark of the Campbell.

From a brief scan of the forums and the net I got that the cap is a single recessive (is that the term?) ie. if one parent has it, then the offspring MIGHT show it - or carry the gene to produce it to the next generation. Also, if BOTH parents pass on the gene to the same egg the chick will have an open skull about where the puff is - and not hatch. When both parents have the gene it is not necessarily a death sentence because that doesn't mean they will pass that gene on. A clerk at the feed store says they are a form of fatty tumor, but I've pinched, poked, and prodded Fuzzy's fluff and not found anything there but feathers. Some say to cull the ones that are not from official "crested" breeds because it is a birth defect and the chance of the double gene thing increases (huh?) I dolt on poor Fuzzy, and can't resist checking his fluff to make sure everything seems normal. I think he is beginning to like the attention. I hope having a poof on his head doesn't mean he will be anything but a goofy duck with a puff and live a long duckie life.

Back
Top Bottom