Post your exotic/domestic duck aviary/pool pics

Quote:
Yes, just dirt on the very bottom, I used a 2-3 inches of sand with a couple in. Small pea gravel. I just rake it for the most part, but I think it would hose easily.

here it is a yr later.
if u cant view this You Tube , I can post pics.

I had the fence thier in the nite pen cuz I had babies I was seperating at the time.. I have the nite pen all enclosed with plastic and plexiglass for winter and filled with lots of straw and tank heaters in the ponds.. Oh I added another small pond in the nite pen after I shot this video cuz my older ducks were not letting the 2 younger ducks in the big pond with them.. ugghh..I throw a blanket down in the winter so the rocks dont stick to them in the cold. Also help cleanup

43749_2011-11-30_17-28-04_82.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Kansaskid...I'm not too far south of you. Ice storms are definitely a problem here. I found that taking a broom and beating the netting from underneath breaks the ice off the netting without any issue, though. Problem is having to do it while the ice is falling from the sky so it doesn't build up too bad if it's a prolonged storm. So far, I haven't had any netting come down due to ice. Your netting looks to be all one piece? Where did you get it? I have netting over my chicken run, but it's off of 4' wide rolls that I had to "sew" together with little zip ties. It works, but for my duck aviary I'd like something that looks nicer. Especially since it's gonna be a whole lot bigger than the chicken run. I'll have raised breeding pens for breeding season, but the aviary will be their off season home, as well as a grow out home for youngsters. I found a prefabricated koi pond on craigslist last night for $30...odd shaped, 7'x5' with the deepest area being 18"...love craigslist! I'll be housing Calls in the aviary.

Hey Kansaskid...I'm not too far south of you. Ice storms are definitely a problem here. I found that taking a broom and beating the netting from underneath breaks the ice off the netting without any issue, though. Problem is having to do it while the ice is falling from the sky so it doesn't build up too bad if it's a prolonged storm. So far, I haven't had any netting come down due to ice. Your netting looks to be all one piece? Where did you get it? I have netting over my chicken run, but it's off of 4' wide rolls that I had to "sew" together with little zip ties. It works, but for my duck aviary I'd like something that looks nicer. Especially since it's gonna be a whole lot bigger than the chicken run. I'll have raised breeding pens for breeding season, but the aviary will be their off season home, as well as a grow out home for youngsters. I found a prefabricated koi pond on craigslist last night for $30...odd shaped, 7'x5' with the deepest area being 18"...love craigslist! I'll be housing Calls in the aviary.
Both my nets (the one on my aviary and the one i have in storage) came from people i'm friends with or the gamebird resorts i worked for.

Do you plan on using the aviary for just calls? If you think about buying a net the 2 inch netting does good when withstanding snow and ice build up as most of it falls through but some of the smaller ornamental species can fly through....

remember to install a drain..lol...

I'll have to get some more pictures rounded up to show the filtration system i'm using....doesn't keep the water 100 percent clear but keeps a lot of the particles free from the water and greatly reduces clean up. I took a picture the other day when i emptied the pond of the silt in the bottom which was a great improvement from the usually 6 inches of sludge that is usually there.

Last edited:
Both my nets (the one on my aviary and the one i have in storage) came from people i'm friends with or the gamebird resorts i worked for.

Do you plan on using the aviary for just calls? If you think about buying a net the 2 inch netting does good when withstanding snow and ice build up as most of it falls through but some of the smaller ornamental species can fly through....

remember to install a drain..lol...

I'll have to get some more pictures rounded up to show the filtration system i'm using....doesn't keep the water 100 percent clear but keeps a lot of the particles free from the water and greatly reduces clean up. I took a picture the other day when i emptied the pond of the silt in the bottom which was a great improvement from the usually 6 inches of sludge that is usually there.

Yes, just housing calls. I need to meet your friends!
lau.gif
It was a pain in the butt sewing netting together...must find it in big pieces!

Still working on Design and the look of the pond but here is a few pictures.

That is fabulous. Can you give details on how you made it?

How deep?
Are those pond liners? If so, what size?
Will the pond liners ever tear?
What type of filter system do you have?

I really need a pond for my ducks and geese, so I am looking for ideas and yours look great!

Back
Top Bottom