Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lovely flock!

I think the size under USDA Small is USDA Peewee (a real size, at least 1.25oz but not yet 1.5oz). One of my EE started out with Peewee. The other three birds started off Small and moved up over time. Still haven't gotten a Jumbo, but have gotten a few Extra Large out of the RIR that hit POL first.

BTW, to the thread posters: I love seeing the pics of the hen that laid the egg. Keep it up!

Quote:
I have a really old scale that I grew up with, born 1977. So the small is 1.5oz. Not sure if the newer scales have changed size weights. My 1st 4 eggs made the scale barely move. I just brought out my postal scale, looks like they are 1.4oz. Weird, it didn't look that close on the egg scale. Oh well its still fun. I'm hoping to catch who is laying in the next day or 2 since I don't have to work for a while.

Shannon

73630_dfkajdfskjagjd.jpg

Merry Christmas to all. I went out this morning to take the girls a treat for Christmas Day, and ... I got my first egg! Woot! I am not sure just WHO it was, because all 3 girls are very close to laying (obviously one has started!)

38638_first_egg_1.jpg

38638_first_egg_2.jpg

Quote:
They were 28 weeks yesterday (Friday), but others that were hatched the same day have been laying for a few weeks according to the lady I got mine from. She has lights on hers, but we only have lights from about 6 a.m. to late afternoon , then let the natural dusk put them to bed. I was thinking it would be the new year before we saw any eggs, so was surprised and pleased to see one this morning. I know the days are now getting longer, but my goodness, that's only been a couple of days.

I got the first egg from my GLW, Vic, this morning. It is sort of taupe/peach in color. I wonder if it will change?

60454_vics_first_egg.jpg

60454_vic_11-18.jpg

(this picture is a month old)

Quote:
The other day I got one just like that. Almost like a powery feeling to the shell. It was different then the really dark eggs I had gotten. So i'm guessing my SLW layed that one now that I see yours.

Shannon

Quote:
I have a really old scale that I grew up with, born 1977. So the small is 1.5oz. Not sure if the newer scales have changed size weights. My 1st 4 eggs made the scale barely move. I just brought out my postal scale, looks like they are 1.4oz. Weird, it didn't look that close on the egg scale. Oh well its still fun. I'm hoping to catch who is laying in the next day or 2 since I don't have to work for a while.

Shannon

Well I think I know who is laying. Mostly its our Cuckoo Marans. Yesterday I went to check if there were any eggs & I found one that was very warm & a Cuckoo that was looking at me from the other side. So I had a feeling & today it was confirmed as she was in the box trying to lay. Most of the eggs have been pretty dark chocolate in color so that was the other thought of pretty sure but now its confirmed. I think my SLW the powery peachy/brown color egg as someone else just posted about that kind of egg. Now to figure out who is laying the very pink colored egg with brown spots.

Shannon

65421_imag0335.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom