Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

My first egg laid the 8th of June less than 24 hours after me getting my ladies all moved in :) I have 5 ladies and get between 3-4 eggs a day. Feed them on laying feed and nearly all kitchen scraps and garden trimmings.

[/IMG]

This is my girls first egg. Sadly she past away a few weeks later due to being egg bound.. I was away at the time and the people caring for her didn't know what to do :(

My Husband and I made this collection basket the size of our sink so we could easily rinse off the eggs.

CUTE basket! What a great way to collect your bounty! I love it!

You may have already heard, and at the risk of being redundant, I'm going to suggest that you not automatically rinse your eggs. In the process of laying the egg, the chicken applies a sealing coat referred to as the "bloom". It protects the egg from bacteria that can enter through the pores of the shell. Water will wash it off, shorten the shelf life of the egg, and possibly introduce bacteria. Often, the best practice is to brush off debris, use a damp cloth if there is any poo, and rinse the egg just before cracking it. For those that feel they really have to wash them, be sure to use very warm water... about 20 degrees warmer than the egg... the bacteria goes to the warmer surface.

My blue wheaten ameraucana, named Honey, recently layed her first pretty blue egg then sat and admired her work long enough for me to take a picture. It weighed 2 ounces and turned out to be a double yolker! So much fun!

The one on the right is from yesterday, golden sex link, got the march 18. The one in the left is from my 2 year old barred rock.

Our first egg ever, from August 2012, laid by our Buff Orpington
and this is the first from our Amerucana who laid for the first time on Feb 1st 2013 (way behind he littler mates!)

About 4 weeks ago:

We got 4 today from our 4 hens. First day for 4 eggs, it was 2 a day for a few weeks, and then 3 each day for the last week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom