Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found another egg today from a different hen! That's two in one day, and I only got my first egg a few days ago!

The new egg on the left, the egg from this morning on the right.

The new egg is really weird, like it didn't harden right or something, I don't know. It was also the color of skin, not brown like the others I've gotten.

I went out to check again a few minutes ago, and I found an egg broken up against the lip of the nesting box...I only saw it cuz I put my head IN the box...I think it was laid yesterday and was so fragile it got stepped on and broke, because it hadn't been eaten. The shell itself was rubbery.

Hi... congratulations on your new layers! It's kind of disappointing to find a broken one, sorry for that. I've noticed that sometimes they aren't quite sure what to do when that first egg arrives and it gets broken by accident. Have they been getting layer feed (which has calcium) as well as oyster shell or crushed egg shells from your kitchen? They really need that extra calcium to produce nice hard shells. A mis-shapen shell can happen when their body hasn't processed the calcium properly. I had one girl that had funny eggs occasionally but it was never a big problem.

ETA: The brown coloring is the final step in producing the egg. Sometimes it takes a day or two for the "ink jets" to get up to speed. :)

Last edited:

My first two pullet eggs! I think they will be supper tonight ---I think they started laying after the stress of 2 of them being killed by the neighbor dog that got into our yard.
Still, we'll see how they taste!

[/IMG]
Our first egg was laid, I am guessing, on Sunday because my RIR has laid one yesterday and today that look the same. And then some other poor girl laid the double Yolker today!

So I have 2 out of my 8 laying !! Yea!!! :))

First egg (that would be one small) this spring from RIR...age 4 months. Never had triple before. Urban chicken in Sacramento, Ca.

I have been getting an egg every other day from my red sexlink and every other day from my Silkie, and yesterday my white leghorn laid a soft shell which broke and they enjoyed lol! But today I haven't got one from anybody and It was the redsexlinks day to lay lol! I am sad but I will wait till tomorrow and see what it brings:)

You don't want to see our actual first eggs because they were paper thin and falling apart. We found them several days ago and then none since! We don't have an actual nesting box for them yet but after we found the first eggs we went out and bought some ceramic eggs to put in the corner of our small coop to encourage them to lay there. But nothing! Finally today I decided to search and I found 4 eggs tucked under the branches of a dead tree laying in our backyard. :D

Then I had my oldest daughter check the coop. She only saw the 2 ceramic eggs we had put in there. A little while later I looked into the coop from the other side and there sat an egg on the wrong side of the coop. A ceramic egg! My daughter had mistaken a real egg for the ceramic one! :D so I guess maybe they've caught on to where they should lay. I guess we'll see in the days to come. At least now we know their hiding spot. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom