Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you know why the egg color goes all the way through the shell and some that don't? Just curious...
idunno.gif

We have 10 chickens...and not all of them are laying yet...we're getting between 5-6 eggs a day right now. But we have collected over a dozen!
We've also been keeping them cooped up until mid-afternoon, since they are laying in the late morning. They've started using the nesting boxes, except one chicken, Big Mama. She makes the big journey every morning to jump over two fences to her spot that is right up against the house in the garden to lay her egg around 9:30. Hers are the darkest brown ones. :)
I'm a proud mama hen!

Just added new addition to coop and when I went out this morning looking for eggs I only saw 3? I usually get 6-8. I thought my girls were upset with the new housing addition. But then I walked into back coop to hang feeder and I didn't notice my Lucy, RIR, in the hanging milk crate until she jumped out. I stood up and to my amazement there were 12 eggs in the crate!! Guess they are happy after all!!! WOW- Good job girls
1f603.png

In brown layers the brown coating is applied last, well last before "bloom" is. So if the hen has laid say, 18 hours ago not 25 hours ago, one may see a lighter shade egg (the brown "paint" lol didn't fully refill so to speak but its rare). More common is during the process it is rushed along or backs up a bit delaying the lay. A startle or interruption to my own red sexlinks causes her eggs to have spots. Pretty but usually only when she defending her time in the nest while lolly gagging. Lol in general tho as the girls age,the eggs will even out to a solid shelled color and be similar in size as time goes on.

Blue eggs, (true blue ameraucana eggs) are blue all the way thru multiple layers of shell.

This is where green eggs come in...cross a true blue with a brown layer and shades of green eggs appear in offsprings eggs (easter eggers).
Crossing The darkest of the brown layer and the bluest of the blues will give offspring hens that can lay a dark Olive colored egg.
I am on a quest for colorful, organic eggs! Lol Can't wait til my ameraucana start laying!
Do you know why the egg color goes all the way through the shell and some that don't? Just curious...:idunno

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom