Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only 2 eggs ever, she is not broody or eggbound, can anyone help?
First egg from Pecky the Olive Egger!
yippiechickie.gif

3 of our 8 are laying regularly. 2 of the Araucanas (Penelope and Goldie) and 1 of the Orpingtons (Little Jerry).

Only 2 eggs ever, she is not broody or eggbound, can anyone help? First egg from Pecky the Olive Egger!:yiipchick
How long has she been laying and how long has it been since her last? Remember they're getting used to laying. Things are just kicking in...but with lack of sunlight for fall that's not helping anyone's new girls. Just a thought....? Pretty egg though. Need and EE roo to breed with my Marans.
1f61c.png

How long has she been laying and how long has it been since her last? Remember they're getting used to laying. Things are just kicking in...but with lack of sunlight for fall that's not helping anyone's new girls. Just a thought....? Pretty egg though. Need and EE roo to breed with my Marans.
1f61c.png
she laid 2 eggs and about 2 weeks ago i think, but never mind now, i just got 2 eggs!
yesss.gif

1f61c.png
Thanks for helping me!

In brown layers the brown coating is applied last, well last before "bloom" is. So if the hen has laid say, 18 hours ago not 25 hours ago, one may see a lighter shade egg (the brown "paint" lol didn't fully refill so to speak but its rare). More common is during the process it is rushed along or backs up a bit delaying the lay. A startle or interruption to my own red sexlinks causes her eggs to have spots. Pretty but usually only when she defending her time in the nest while lolly gagging. Lol in general tho as the girls age,the eggs will even out to a solid shelled color and be similar in size as time goes on.

Blue eggs, (true blue ameraucana eggs) are blue all the way thru multiple layers of shell.

This is where green eggs come in...cross a true blue with a brown layer and shades of green eggs appear in offsprings eggs (easter eggers).
Crossing The darkest of the brown layer and the bluest of the blues will give offspring hens that can lay a dark Olive colored egg.
I am on a quest for colorful, organic eggs! Lol Can't wait til my ameraucana start laying!
Interesting! So do EE's lay blue at all? Because my EE's, that's what I was told they were after posting pics on BYC, but person bought from said Ameraucana, are laying blue eggs not green.

EEs can lay an array of colors depending on the history of the parents. Hatcheries like to breed for colors like green and blue when they can, it sells chicks.
They'll lay Shades of Greens, blues, pinks, browns and tinted whites. Until they are laying it is a surprise. This thread has awesome egg pics!
If your stock came from ameracauna crossed lines with good blue genes your eggs will probably be a shade of blue :)
Interesting! So do EE's lay blue at all? Because my EE's, that's what I was told they were after posting pics on BYC, but person bought from said Ameraucana, are laying blue eggs not green.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom