Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My pullets seem small for 17-18 weeks. I hope they're getting enough to eat. In comparison with my 4 year olds, they are not only lighter, but much shorter...

I went to clean the coop today and found an egg! I did a little happy dance of joy when I saw it resting under the perch. I only have two chickens and didn't expect an egg until about October, thinking they would lay at 25 or 26 weeks. Lo and behold, it's only 21 weeks, so a very nice surprise. Funny enough, I had just gathered together materials for a nest box thinking I would put one in there this weekend, but decided to speed up the project after finding this little beauty.

And compared to an extra-large store bought egg:

Not sure which one of my girls laid it and probably won't know until I catch one of them in the act, but I am very happy!

my BR is almost 25 weeks and so far nothing, but good luck with yours!

Mine are 20 weeks and i was so happy to see them checking out the nest boxes last week. I started checking the nest boxes twice a day, hoping. But it turned out a couple of the younger hens has started sleeping in the nest boxes. So far i haven't figured out how to break them of it and still have open boxes in case one of them starts to lay. I am lining the nest boxes with gray weed blocking cloth over the top of the straw for ease of cleaning but would love to quickly break them of it.

I went to clean the coop today and found an egg! I did a little happy dance of joy when I saw it resting under the perch. I only have two chickens and didn't expect an egg until about October, thinking they would lay at 25 or 26 weeks. Lo and behold, it's only 21 weeks, so a very nice surprise. Funny enough, I had just gathered together materials for a nest box thinking I would put one in there this weekend, but decided to speed up the project after finding this little beauty. And compared to an extra-large store bought egg: Not sure which one of my girls laid it and probably won't know until I catch one of them in the act, but I am very happy!
Beautiful!

Mine are 20 weeks and i was so happy to see them checking out the nest boxes last week. I started checking the nest boxes twice a day, hoping. But it turned out a couple of the younger hens has started sleeping in the nest boxes. So far i haven't figured out how to break them of it and still have open boxes in case one of them starts to lay. I am lining the nest boxes with gray weed blocking cloth over the top of the straw for ease of cleaning but would love to quickly break them of it.
Are your roosts higher than your nesting boxes?
I'm still having trouble with a couple of hens hanging out there during the day (ones who aren't laying yet), but I just keep removing them from the boxes and removing the poop.
Two of our 20 week olds started laying last week, so it may not be long for you!

Very pretty blue-green egg you got their! Congrats! What breed?
Feed store says "Americuana". I say they are Easter Eggers based on what I learned from BYC
smile.png
We love them no matter what and if we could have more than 2 I would do it. Sadly, zoning prevents us at this time.

We think Bear may have laid it, since her comb is much redder and fuller than her sister's:

This is Goldie:

:

I put a slanted 'ceiling' on my nesting boxes, those that want to can roost up there at night, I just scrape the droppings off with a small scraper in the am. those that wish too can go into the nesting boxes. I also have a chicken ladder. on the other side of the coop for them to roost on.
Are your roosts higher than your nesting boxes?
I'm still having trouble with a couple of hens hanging out there during the day (ones who aren't laying yet), but I just keep removing them from the boxes and removing the poop.
Two of our 20 week olds started laying last week, so it may not be long for you!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom