Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Our Wyandotte layed her first egg today at 25 weeks.....our first backyard egg, :) It was quite small. Will she start laying bigger ones or do they stay this small size?

Last edited:
Were all of them showing the signs like red comb, squatting, and nesting? And are they all the same type/ lay the same colored eggs? It was easy for me to see because two of mine started showing signs and only one layed brown eggs, so I got lucky :D I'm sure you'll find out eventually
4 of the 5 hens have deep red combs/wattles/faces, but the 5th doesn't look like she's quite mature yet. They're all barred rocks and the same age, so my guess is that the last girl will come around soon. Since my first post we've collected 2 more eggs, same color and size, and both were collected yesterday. My thinking is that maybe 2 of the girls are laying.

Luckily the eggs are well shaped and formed right off the bat!

Five new egg layers in the last week! A Leghorn, a bantam x, an Easter Egger, and 2 mystery brown egg layers (I believe one Red Sexlink and the Columbian Rock X).

I would say it takes them atleast close or after the 1 year mark, they are hens then, to lay consistently. You have a heritage breed and may see sooner results with your RIR's, especially if they are production reds. They will come into laying bigger eggs. Mine took about the 1 year mark to hit consistency and egg size. Hope that helps. Everyone has their own experiences too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom