Post your FIRST EGG pics!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Cuckoo marans first egg I have 5 hens dont know who it belongs to!!
The egg on the right is a large store bought egg

Last edited:

Love the olive green its beautiful.

A few of the signs I've noticed over the years that help me figure out which hen is laying. I'm sure i have missed a few. Not all hens show these signs or even part of the signs.

After a hen starts laying they will eat more. Sometimes its seems they are almost frantic to get more feed, especially treats.

They develop a interest in Calcium. Mine hits the crushed egg shell when the rest of the hens are settling on the roosts. She'll stay out a little while longer and head to the eggshell and scarf some down before heading in to roost.

She may hang about closer to the coop while the rest of the flock is out free ranging.

When a hen is almost ready to lay the daily egg you will see the fluffy feathers of her butt pulsing as she clinches the Cloaca while the egg is moving closer to being laid. The hen will be out eating and wandering about while the pulsing is going on.

Then there is the hen in the nest box part. But i almost never notice when the hens are in the coop laying. My chickens don't seem to do the loud egg song to helpfully alert me that there is an egg on the way.

If you have a young Roo he will sometimes suddenly start mounting her right after the first egg is laid, several times. The hens "fluffy butt" will start looking a little less fluffy even a little raggedy after a few days. Its a good indicator for the first laying hen but after that the Roo will get the idea and may mount the hens laying or not.

I came home from nursing school to find this in the nest box. The egg on the right is the decoy store bought egg with its contents removed. I'm guessing this egg (left) is from Ruby (my only brown egg layer -Red Star) who is 21 weeks old today.
The biggest question I have right now.... Is this really her first egg? For the past few days she had been flying over the fence and waiting on my husband at the front door as he goes to work (noon time). I've looked all over the front and back yards and even looked in the woods. I cannot find any other egg anywhere. I told my son not to let the chickens out of the run today. So I made it home just before 1:00 pm and found the egg. Part of it was still drying so it happened in the time between him leaving for work and me coming home. Is this egg big for a first egg? I thought it would be smaller.

Looks like you have an Olive Egger (hybrid that is a cross between a blue egg laying breed and a dark laying breed such as a Marans) in your midst --- if you post photos of your flock we can probably help you figure out who it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom