Post your funny duck stories!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Amykins, Aug 29, 2014.

1. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    I love ducks, they're silly, silly creatures that always make me smile. For example, Wobbles has a funny habit of sleeping on her back. If she's upset or hyper, all I gotta do is hold her on her back and stroke her bill and she calms down. She looks like a little feathered potato!

What are some of your funny duck quirks?

1 person likes this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It melts my heart when a duck stands near me with her foot on top of mine.

Sechs doesn't walk - she prances.

Zehn is the duck who jams her bill right into the middle of where I am poking around in the mulch looking for worms for the ducks. I have to be careful if I ever use a trowel. So I usually don't.

When one duck gets a worm, I know it right away because I will see a duck running and running and three or four right behind her.

3. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Please tell me there's a video of this. [​IMG]

4. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    This afternoon I noticed a cute new quirk of Wobbles' - when she wants pets, she runs to me and sticks her neck out, flopping it on the ground or bed or wherever she's sitting so she looks like a bowling pin. At first I thought it was because she was tired, or even worse had something stuck in her throat! Nope, it's her way of saying "pet me, mom!"

5. Quackers Mama

Quackers Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2014
    Houston, TX

Right? I'd love to see that.
    Lol aww so cute! All I get are pecks on the toes that start off soft then progress to pinches lol.

One quirk he does have that I get a kick out of every time is when I give him mealworms. After eating each worm he'll chirp & do a little booty shake lol.

6. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Aww, I wanna see! Does he spin in little circles when he does it?

7. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Same with us, Amiga, if one of ours gets a worm or slug. It's so funny to watch since they normally all hang together, but not when that happens. It's usually our favorite girl, Noelle, who happens to get them, though I'm not sure why she's so often the "winner." Once she plucks a worm or slug out, she goes running. Then the rest frantically run after her, but not the normal way. It's like she's playing dodge ball to keep another from getting her prize.

Noelle stands on my feet when she wants treats, and she's not easily fooled. A few of our ducks will eat out of our hands, but then I tell them we have to let the rest have something as well. I throw some stuff, usually peas or kale, into the yard, and all the rest scurry to get it. Not Noelle. She just stands there and looks at me like she's thinking, "Okay, they're gone now. You can give me some with no interference." She's twice crawled up my arm when she wasn't satisifed with treats. I'd let her sleep in the bed with us if it weren't for the "potty training" thing.

1 person likes this.
  8. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    Ha, mine does the same thing! I used to be able to fool my chickens that way, when treat time was over I'd just hide the bag and they'd saunter off. But not Wobbles. I put the bag away and she gives me this sideways glance as if to say "You don't think I don't know what's up, do you?" before jumping to nip at my pocket.

1 person likes this.
  9. MidNightFire

MidNightFire New Egg

Aug 29, 2014
    OMG! I do not have my ducks yet, I will have 2 on the 9/17/2014!!! I can not wait!
    This is so funny. Do they really do all of that? ]
    Thanks![​IMG]

10. Amykins

May 11, 2013
    First off, welcome to BYC and congrats on your soon-to-be duckhood! :p I really do adore ducks. Each one has their own personality quirks, and they're absolute hams when it comes to their behavior. I could watch mine for hours! <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by