Post Your Pekin duck pics here

Pics

My pretty duckies. We're picking up two more tomorrow, just so they have buddies if something happened to one of them.
(Do they still look like Pekins?)
Adorable babies!
smile.png

Anyone care to share how long it took their ducklings to feather out? Mine are 2-3 weeks old. They're getting really big and I'd like for them to go outside sometime. Here they are playing in their "tub".

Last edited:
Too cute for words, love them when they're in their adolescent stage, they want to explore and taste everything, just like a toddler. If you have a decent day, would take them out for a supervised visit, if you have a door there from that room, just open it and coax them out. It will actually help them feather out quicker, harden up, to get some real sunshine and grass. You will be amazed how much quicker things move, so be prepared to have your hutch or whatever ready. Only had mine in for 2 weeks with no light ever, and put them out on the porch, but that of course was spring, but still quite chilly. Adequate bedding and nest boxes or whatever. Trust me, they will enjoy the great outdoors, just keep an eye on them, if you have a doorway they can go in and out, they will quickly learn where to come in at dusk, or when they want to. They look pretty hardy, as long as it's not below freezing, they'll probably be ok for short spurts, and will be good and tired out after an hour or so. At this age, an hour is enough, twice a day if you have the time, increase as they tolerate, and they will very, very quickly. Be ready! They will be all grown up in the next few weeks!

What a great pic, can't get mine to set foot out in the snow! Spoiled rotten brats. You are fortunate and the pic is a great "ducks in a row" example. They are such funny creatures, a joy to have. Do they ever get lost and forget how to come home with all the "white" around them? That would be my fear if I could ever get them out. Will have to try it tomorrow and will supervise, they want out off the screen porch, will open the door for them and they run back in. Will maybe stand on the outside and coax them with some peas, can get them to move mountains with peas. And they usually stay real close to the house anyway. Thanks for the encouragement, feel bad they have been in so long, but not really IN, they are still in the outdoors, just sheltered. Aren't they great fun to watch? Who needs TV when you have ducks ; ]

Anyone care to share how long it took their ducklings to feather out? Mine are 2-3 weeks old. They're getting really big and I'd like for them to go outside sometime. Here they are playing in their "tub".
Mine were mostly feathered at 5 1/2 weeks. That's when I put them out of the house and into their draft-free coop. They will be locked in there for a week or two before I let them outside. I open the front door for them and put a fence in front of it so they will have light, but won't be able to leave the coop. I want them to get used their home so hopefully I won't have to herd them back in when I let em free range. We'll see how that goes lol.

Last april my 2 pekins and 3 mallards

playing in the turtle pool

eating goldfish in the big pool

Sally & Suzy playing in the sprinkler last summer

2 new pekins I bought Gabby and Nugett he is my drake

all my crew except Marry on the nest with her 3 new babys that are pekin -mallard cross

Back
Top Bottom