Post your Red Star eggs

My Red Star is a great hen! If I could have a hundred hens for eggs, I'd want a hundred Red Stars. Hard working, lays early in the morning, good natured and smart.

IMG_3371.jpg

The ones on the bottom row are hers. Note, the color is more reddish than the others.

IMG_3372.jpg

Closer, you can see that the surface is textured, and this one has freckles.

Quote:
We have 19 Gold Comets. We get 17 to 19 big brown ones each day. They started laying right at 22 weeks and haven't slowed down since. It's what someone else said above, they are the best layers. And they're people friendly too. My granddaughters love going out with me to get eggs. They love the fact that they squat when you reach down to pet them and stay in place until you're done. It's cute behavior but I don't think it would be a good thing if they were to free range all day long with hawks, foxes, and coyotes around. They do get out right about sundown for a half hour or so to roam. They always come back in by dark.

Quote:
Shook Poultry up in Claremont, NC between Statesville and Hickory. We bought six started pullets (18 Weeks) the first of April, then another six around the middle of June. Then around Labor Day we got another six but there were seven in the crate when we got them home giving us the odd number. Shook sells the GC's for about $6.50 for a started pullet. The only negative about them is that all their chicks and chickens have been debeaked meaning the tip end of the beak has been removed. The ones we got were fine and I don't think it causes any problem but I would just prefer not to have had it done but there was no choice getting them from Shooks. The GC's are great layers of big brown eggs. We got 18 today, 17 yesterday, and 19 the day before and all of them are extra large and jumbos. We're adding another 17 to our flock in the spring to give us an even three dozen. I sell every egg we don't use to co-workers and friends and they want more. I swear they are waiting at my door when I get in the office at 7:45 to get their eggs. Must be the crack cocaine we add to their feed...
roll.png

Last edited:
Shook Poultry up in Claremont, NC between Statesville and Hickory. We bought six started pullets (18 Weeks) the first of April, then another six around the middle of June. Then around Labor Day we got another six but there were seven in the crate when we got them home giving us the odd number. Shook sells the GC's for about $6.50 for a started pullet. The only negative about them is that all their chicks and chickens have been debeaked meaning the tip end of the beak has been removed. The ones we got were fine and I don't think it causes any problem but I would just prefer not to have had it done but there was no choice getting them from Shooks. The GC's are great layers of big brown eggs. We got 18 today, 17 yesterday, and 19 the day before and all of them are extra large and jumbos. We're adding another 17 to our flock in the spring to give us an even three dozen. I sell every egg we don't use to co-workers and friends and they want more. I swear they are waiting at my door when I get in the office at 7:45 to get their eggs. Must be the crack cocaine we add to their feed...
roll.png
Why would anyone want a chicken like this? Meaning what's their motivation to do it before selling them? Do they recover/grow back?

Back
Top Bottom