Post your Thanksgiving menu.

BettyR

Songster
12 Years
Mar 1, 2008
Texas Gulf Coast
It's always so much fun to see what everyone else is having.
smile.png

Our Thanksgiving menu

Turkey
Cornbread dressing
Green beans
Mashed potatoes
Sweet potatoes
Broccoli Rice Casserole
Fruit salad
Turkey gravy
Homemade rolls

Cheesecake
French silk pie
Pumpkin pie
Apple pie

We are having 4 families join us for Thanksgiving this year and everyone is bringing a dish, that's why all the food.

I'm making the turkey, dressing, gravy. rolls and desserts.

Turkey
Stuffing
Mashed taters
Gravy
Yams
Shrimp salad
Crab salad
Fruit salad
Vegetable tray
Rolls
Green beans
Apple pie
Pumpkin pie
Banana cream pie
Pumpkin cheese cake
I think that is it. Now I have to go find something to eat as this has made me hungry.

It's just the four of us for Thanksgiving this year, so we're keeping things simple.

Turkey, dressing and gravy. Green bean casserole, yams, apple pie.

Our Thanksgiving dinner:

Turkey
Honey spiral-sliced ham
Kentucky wonder green beans with new potatoes
Corn pudding
Cornbread and biscuit dressing
Candied yams
Red hot apples
Potato and cheese casserole
Rolls
Fresh cranberry relish
Pecan pie
Pumpkin pie
Chess pie

There are just 8 of us this year, but I still want to make everyone's favorites...and I just wouldn't feel right not putting out a major feast...so here goes; I am a little OCD about thanksgiving, so everyone had better be at my house before Santa drives through Rockefeller Plaza during the parade.(those who live with me had better be parked in front of the tv DURING the entire parade- fresh cinnamon rolls are optional.

apps: (served during the National dog show, lol) baked brie,a blue cheese cheese balll, rumaki, assorted other cheeses and other relish tray items

dinner:

2 turkeys- one big old butterball, and a smaller one, brined, and done on the grill with fresh herbs, lemon and garlic
2 stuffings- one traditional and I try something new every year- so I am doing a wild rice, mushroom and sausage one I found
taters and gravy
toffee caramel sweet potatoes (my specialty)
squash
fresh green bean casserole
roasted Brussels sprouts with caramelized onions and bacon
rolls(I will admit, I use the Rhodes frozen dough to save time, and they are the best) and assorted quick breads
homemade cranberry sauce (and the canned kind that my mom adores)
cranberry apple gelatin salad
pistachio fluff
Dessert:
Pumpkin, apple, cherry and coconut cream pie

My guests were instructed not to bring anything but their own to go containers! I love having a big variety of stuff no matter how many people are coming. And I love loading them up good with leftovers, and still having plenty for us. (Hence the two turkeys...I made the mistake one yera of only making one, and they took home all of our leftovers. I had to go to the store the next day to get my own "leftovers" bird, lol.

thanks for the ideas everyone... I just might add some more stuff to the menu now! Like cheesy potatoes- YUM!

Oh my - toffee caramel sweet potatoes sound incredible! -would love the recipe if it isn't too much trouble. (can post here or shoot me a message on the website) I think my family would absolutely devour this!!

Going to the neighbors to gather for the feast, so far the menu is:

Turkey
Gravy
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potato Bake
Green Bean Casserole
Dinner Rolls
Pumpkin Pie
Apple Pie

I am bringing the pie so I am taking two kinds - pumpkin is on the menu, apple will be a surprise.

Here is how I do my sweet potatoes. I boil my taters until almost done but not quite- undercooked it better so they don't mush up. Peel them under cold water. then, I scrape tat firs tlayer under the skin off. it tends to darken on the potatoes and they look yucky. slice into thick coins, and lightly salt and pepper them and place in casserole. (this can be done the night before if you want.

for the glaze;

1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup water.

Stir until sugar dissolves over low heat. Very important or you could end up with a grainy mess. Then, increase heat and bring to a boil. Boil about 5 min or so. it will start to look syrupy. Test in cold water. You want it to be sticky and hold together but not quite soft ball stage. remove from heat and let it cool for a few (like 5) minutes. then cube up cold butter, the colder the better. You HAVE to use butter. Margarine doesn't work. I usually cube two sticks, but I don't always need all of it. Wisk in the cold butter a few hunks at a time and keep whisking. as the butter incorporates, the sauce thickens, keep adding butter and whisking (your arm may threaten to fall off, but it is worth it , I swear). It will get thick and lighter in color. then, Add a couple of teaspoons of vanilla, and a pinch of allspice or nutmeg if you don't have all spice...just a little pinch or tiny shake. (don't use cinnamon- the flavor just isn't quite right). Adjust the seasoning- if you use unsalted butter it may need a little salt.

Pout half of the topping over your sweet potatoes, and gently coat them. Bake covered, for about a half and hour or until they are hot and are tender. If mine are really juicy in the dish, I will drain most or all of that juice,(you don't have to- and my mother yells at me for being wasteful but I like the look of them after they are drained) and pour the reserved glaze on the and the top just before serving.

It sounds like a lot of work, but really it isn't... and these are delicious, totally worth it, and i would be banished to eat with the chickens if I didn't make them every Thanksgiving and Easter.

The toffee sweet potatoes sound wonderful!

Our menu:
Smoked turkey breast
Brisket
Dressing
Yeast rolls
Cranberry-orange relish (homemade)
Rum carrots
Broccoli with hollandaise sauce & crushed Ritz cracker crumbs on top
Deviled eggs (from our chickens)
Mixed green salad
Meyer lemon pie (lemons from our tree)
Pecan pie (pecans from our trees)