post your winter laying trick here!!!

Quote:
I give them shelled sunflower seeds, PB sanwiches (they love both of these) scrambled eggs with parsley, a little bit of cat food once in a while or dog food.
Cheese, Yogurt, Lean Meats, cooked Beans,Lentils, and other Legumes (cooked) Grains, including bread and pasta
Nuts and Seeds.

They don't get all of these every day but they will get one or two everyday. Seems to be working....oh I give it in a very moderate amt.
smile.png

chickensducks&agoose :

my ladies love warm oatmeal with peanut butter and sunflower seeds mixed in... i tend to make a lot of oatmeal, and then when the kids and DH don't eat it, I mix in all the fixin's and give it to the ladies.

Yeah...I knew I was missing something! Oatmeal...my chickens love that too! Sometimes I mix it with the oatmeal & parsley, or put some frozen peas in it! Yummy!
wink.png

One more thing I forgot, I use the crunchy peanut butter, I buy it special for them.
lau.gif

Last edited:
We have pen spotlights on timers, but the hens can go inside the coop if they prefer to go to bed. If you want year-round eggs you could leave lighting on for 14 hours per day. We only leave them on long enough to check on (and play with!) the girls before and after work, though. . . gives their little bodies a nice winter break. Egg laying takes a lot out of a chicken over the years!

Back
Top Bottom