Post your wood/mandarin duck enclosures!

1lpoock

Spruce Creek Waterfowl
10 Years
Apr 20, 2009
Sandusky, Ohio
I know there is already a thread like this, but I'm sure the aviaries have changed and it seems that a lot more people have gotten into these ornamental ducks!

The pen:
newduckpen.jpg

The pond:
duckpond.jpg

Some of the flock:
flockhp.jpg

cawooduck that is awesome. Question... do you have a filter on their pond? If not, what are your plans for cleaning it out and so forth.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cetawin, thank you for the praise.

I do not have a filter system for my pond, but i installed a drain on one end that is piped outside the pen to my garden, so the water is recycled. I drain and hose down the pond about every 4 days and scrub the complete pond about every 8 days to remove algea, which is my biggest pain in the butt. I would like to add a shade structure above the pond to slow down the algea growth, but i like watching the ducks fly around then land in the water, and the structure would prevent that. Plus where i live it gets really windy, so shade cloth is out of the question because it would get ripped off or act like a big sail and take my pen away!!!

Quote:

I do not have a filter system for my pond, but i installed a drain on one end that is piped outside the pen to my garden, so the water is recycled. I drain and hose down the pond about every 4 days and scrub the complete pond about every 8 days to remove algea, which is my biggest pain in the butt. I would like to add a shade structure above the pond to slow down the algea growth, but i like watching the ducks fly around then land in the water, and the structure would prevent that. Plus where i live it gets really windy, so shade cloth is out of the question because it would get ripped off or act like a big sail and take my pen away!!!

What about just getting some algea eating fish?

Quote:

What about just getting some algea eating fish?

The ducks will eat them. hahahaha

Thanks for the response cawooduck. Oh my that must be a pain to do a full clean down weekly..that looks to be a huge pond...

Quote:
Backswampgirl,

I got the mandarins from New York and here in California so i could avoid any inbreeding, and i did the same with the wood ducks as they are from New York, Montana and here in California. I currently have a few babies left: 3 wood duck babies, 2 mandarin babies and 3 ring teal babies. I am going to sell those along with two adult pairs of ring teal and an adult pair of wood ducks.

Quote:
I actually thought about that, but i dont know how they would cope with unoxygenated water that is contaminated with duck poop. Plus its in the wide open, so i dont know how they would deal with the direct sun, especially on 100 degree days. I dont have much knowledge on fish, so i dont have answers for any of my questions yet!!

Back
Top Bottom