Post your wooden feeder... No PVC allowed! ;)

jasanch5

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 25, 2010
Time for the next project in the coop, the plastic hanging feeder has got to go for some young pullets to use...

I was going to go the PVC route when I realized I have more than enough wood around here to make it happen!

Just looking for inspiration!

Thank you.

-J

I don't have a picture right now, but mine is a trough 40" wide with a 2' tall x 40" wide x 3.5" deep hopper constructed above it. It holds a 50lb bag of feed easily.

The opening between the hopper and the trough is opening 1-1.5" due to not being able to cut straight. And about 1.5" from the opening to the front lip. The lip of the trough is about 2" high. I mounted the entire thing above the ground, so to make it even more difficult to bill food onto the floor. Between the difference between the level of the food and the front lip, and the height from the ground, I think I have prevented billing out onto the ground. The small opening of the trough also makes it difficult to perch, so no crap in the food.

Part of the reason I went with the big hopper design is that I have 30 chicks and I don't want them ever out of food because when I had a smaller feeder whenever it emptied and I refilled it they would swarm it creating opportunities for fighting and excessive pecking. With the food available all the time there is not the big rush and crowding at the feeder.

[Edit] Found a couple pictures with the feeder in the background

This shows the bottom feeding trough.
68084_dscf0131.jpg

This shows just the right side, but includes the height of the hopper.
68084_dscf0137.jpg

Last edited:
Built mine a little while back and am very pleased with it's function and full bag holding ability.

DSC00571Medium.jpg

DSC00573Medium.jpg

DSC00575Medium.jpg

DSC00579Medium.jpg

There was some mild concern about the ladies standing on top and pooping into the food, but it has been a non-issue thus far. Probably because they have higher places to stand...
smile.png

Well I may build my feeder tomorrow! Thanks everyone for the great pictures and inspiration!

How deep should the exposed part of the feeder be to keep them from perching up on it....

I have a speckled sussex that loves to get up on everything and try to kick/scratch it out...

I'm thinking maybe 2" -or- perhaps slats of wood to keep them out?

Back
Top Bottom