Posting photos for first time........New coop need paint advice!

So jealous of the size of your coop! It's beautiful! I suggest you go to Home Depot and look at their best stain by Behr (in a black can). It's what I put on my parent's cedar log home and my coop (as seen on my BYC page). Gail

Depends on how eclectic you are!! I like bright colors! I would go with a bright yellow on the inside. Trim things with a John Deer green. On the outside. Bright blue or lavender, trimmed with the same bright yellow you used on the inside.

Or do like I did. Buy the mis-tints from Home Depot or Lowe's. You can get all kinds of colors. Wish I had a picture of the fence I painted, each 4 foot panel is a different color. Looks like you are in the islands!!

Thanks again--Helpful as always! My husband wants to do the red and white barn style. But I like the suggestion of keeping it natural--I like the grain of the wood. Then we could mix it up with the trim, doing lavender?? The only thing I don't really like about it is the windows. I wish I would have taken the time to get old wooden frames. Some shutters will help, and window boxes if I can keep the chickens out of there. We already have the paint to do our house, It's a gray green with ivory trim and bitter chocoloate (brownish maroon) for the porch moldings etc. Have NO idea how it's going to look. But the paint is in the basement.............If it looks good we could do a variation on that maybe?

The chickens are only going in the smaller (10x11) side. There is an interior door that leads from one side to the other. The other side is supposed to be for the lawn mower etc but I was only going to get 10 hens and I got 16. So I guess we'll see!

Good advice on the inside. I would have never primed 2 coats but will now. I will also use a light color and get the mismatch paint. If the chicken thing doesn't work out it could be a pretty nice little guest house! Couple more questions:

1. Do you paint the roosting bars? Would they have a hard time staying on them with the slipper paint? Or will they be disgusting with poop if you don't paint them? Would the paint that close to them be too toxic? How long would you wait after painting the inside to put the chickens in there? We are getting day old chicks and plan to keep them in the house for a little while.

2. What do you do with the inside of the nesting boxes?

3. It seems like the linoleum squares would be easiest but maybe they are more expensive than the rolls, I haven't priced it yet. If you use the squares does poop get in the cracks? Are they harder to clean?

4. Someone recommended that kind of vinyl stuff they put in showers surrounds on the lower half of the walls esp. behind the roosting area. Any experience with this? Would the linoleum squares work here just as well on a vertical surface?

Thanks for the help. Anne

Lovely coop!

I notice the strong bias in this thread towards using paint. Is there any reason why one should not used a stain-preservative inside and out?

I'm new as well...
Just wanted to add I got the vinyl squares at Home Depot for .25 cents a sq foot. I used sealent (liquid nails?) that we had left over from a kitchen project, to glue them down tightly. I put the vinyl sq down in the bottom of the nest box as well...if an egg breaks or the girls get sick, I think it will be easier to clean/bleach etc.
smile.png

Quote:
That is almost what I was going to say.
smile.png
I am thinking of an egg-yolk yellow for the exterior, with white trim, and apple green for the inset parts of the doors. For the inside? Hmm, maybe more yellow, or just a mish-mash of easter-egg pastel colors. Have fun!

Roosting Bars: You could paint them. Some do. I simply sealed mine with the linseed oil mixture to make them easier to scrape/clean. I like the wood look. I don't think toxicity is a problem as long as you wait for it to dry completely - which I highly recommend because of fumes. Your babies are little - it will be awhile before they're ready for the coop anyways. Most don't move babies outside until after 6 weeks or so.

Nesting Boxes: Again, I sealed mine with linseed oil. If you do paint, I'd go darker here. Cave-like.

Linoleum: No experience with linoleum. I chose to paint the floor instead (it was cheaper and creates a solid surface). I would imagine that nastiness would get inside the cracks and IF it got terribly wet then tiles might come up. Remember that the floor will likely be under shavings anyways, so it's not going to show - you just want it sealed against leaks/poo. I wonder if squares are more likely to come up when you're turning the shavings (I use a rake)?

Vinyl: No experience with shower surrounds either. Seems like it would be easier to clean. But if you're going to paint the walls anyways, then it might just be another expense. I would imagine that the square would work on a vertical surface. I put my roost 18 inches off the wall and have very little poo on the wall.

Nice coup! Def "Barn Red" on the outisde and "Fence White" for the trim, on the inside i would use a primer, they have some really good hardy primers out their i think its called something like "grips" or something, idk i would have to ask my mom the painter. Then i would use an Exterior on the inside also because it will be hardier. In my old coup we had white and it really didn't get dirty looking, so i would just go with white becuase it's simple and clean looking.

Back
Top Bottom