Postmortem questions

pearsjd

Chirping
12 Years
Mar 17, 2007
N. Central AL
We've had a series of deaths here. At first it seemed like cocci and we treated w/Sulmet. They seemed to get better(8 wk old Brahmas). We had 2 sudden deaths yesterday and my daughter cut open one of the Brahmas. Her intestines were filled with blood and there were red lesions on her liver. The other chicken that died just bled out from her vent. Any ideas? These deaths were fairly sudden and the hens were fine just hours before. We lost 2 EE several weeks ago too. Not sick, just dead. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Susan

Seminolewind is another who has had symptoms just like this. If you haven't done a course of Corid yet, I agree with Casportpony. Do the Corid first and if you still don't have relief, then do Di-Methox instead of the Sulmet. Sulmet is extremely harsh on their systems and that in a case like this can cause it's own problems.

I too am having a problem with the cocci this year. I have already done a 7 day course of the Corid, with 85% cure. Waited a few days and did the 3 day course of Di-Methox at 1/4 tsp per gallon of water. Now a couple of weeks later, I think anyways, I am starting another dosing with the Di-Methox at 1/2 tsp. per gallon. I am losing 1-2 birds a day for the last 4 days. A couple to cannibalism, the rest to what looks like a coccidia or enteritis infestation. These birds haven't even hit the ground yet and are 9 weeks old. No blood, but the hunching and crappy feathering. Poop looks normal, to a little watery in a couple.

We've had a series of deaths here. At first it seemed like cocci and we treated w/Sulmet. They seemed to get better(8 wk old Brahmas). We had 2 sudden deaths yesterday and my daughter cut open one of the Brahmas. Her intestines were filled with blood and there were red lesions on her liver. The other chicken that died just bled out from her vent. Any ideas? These deaths were fairly sudden and the hens were fine just hours before. We lost 2 EE several weeks ago too. Not sick, just dead. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
Susan
Exact same thing happened to me last year. Sudden death and bleeding out of the vent when I picked them up. Some cocci attack the a different part of the intestine and the chicken only feels it hours before it dies. It also leads to something called Necrotic Enteritis. I did Corid for 5 days, then sulfadimethoxine for 5 day. I did Corid and Tylan together because you can use them together and I didn't know what I had. I had 2 drop dead the first night, and 1 the second night. It was really sad.

I forgot to ask, what part ot the intestine were full of blood?
Source: http://pubs.cas.psu.edu/freepubs/pdfs/agrs52.pdf

-Kathy

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom